Sunday, July 17, 2016

2016 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop

Thistle Thicket Studio, New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop

Howdy Y'all Quilt, Thistle Thicket Studio, cowboy boot block, Moda Bake Shop recipe

Howdy Y'all! Welcome to my turn on the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop! It's been a great hop and I hope you've enjoyed meeting all the new quilt bloggers out in cyber-space. If you've never visited my little corner of the blogiverse, then pull up a chair and grab a cup o' joe and let's get to know each other.

Hi! I'm Sharla, the designer, sewist, quilter, crafter and more at Thistle Thicket Studio. This is the second year that I have participated in the New Quilt Bloggers Group and I participated in this blog hop last year, so if you want to see what I wrote about myself last year, sneak a peek here. Since I shared my life history last year, today I thought I'd share what I've been up to in the last year.

I've been sewing most of my life and quilting for many years too. I've been doing more designing of my own quilts lately and have had a couple of 'recipes' featured on Moda Bake Shop, like the "Howdy Y'all" quilt above and my first 'recipe' called "Chainlinks" below.
Chainlinks Quilt, Thistle Thicket Studio, Moda Bake Shop recipe, layer cake quilt

I designed this "Robots All In A Row" quilt for my grandson. Someday I hope to sit down, decipher all my notes on making this and write a pattern for this one!
Thistle Thicket Studio, Robots All In A Row quilt, quilts, quilting

Although I started out as a traditional quilter, I am moving more and more toward modern quilts as you can tell from my photos of late. This is a mini quilt I designed for Pat Bravo Designs earlier this year called "Whirl & Twirl". Check out my tutorial here.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Whirl & Twirl quilt, quilts, quilting

I've been exploring block designs that create secondary patterns this year. The first one I designed was called "Spinners" and was for Paintbrush Studio's New Block Blog Hop.

This block creates spinning pinwheels when multiple blocks are sewn together.
Spinners Quilt Pattern, Thistle Thicket Studio, quilts, quilting,

I just found out that my Spinners block will be included in the 2017 Quilter's Planner designed by the very talented Stephanie Palmer of Late Night Quilter (who just happens to be my Hive Host this year)! They will be available in October - with pre-ordering available in late August, so be sure to reserve one. I'm so excited!

One of the fun things about this blog is the tips and fun facts each blogger is sharing with everyone, so here's mine.....


Blogging Tip: Want to make your own social media buttons for your blog? I found great instructional resources online. I made my new social media icons following a post by Made in Craftadise (although I used Photoshop instead of PicMonkey). I just love my new thread spool social media icons....
social media icons, Thislte Thicket Studio

Quilting Tip: Quilt inspiration is everywhere! When you see something that would make a great quilt pattern, take a photo of it! I have files on my phone of quilting inspiration - one file is solely photos of hotel carpeting!

Quilting Question: My dream is to design my own fabric. Do you have any great online resources on textile design? Preferably free:)

Five Fun Facts About Me:
  1. I'm a farmer's wife from Kansas and enjoy a slower paced life in the country after years in the economic development field. I just spent the last 3 weeks driving a combine in wheat harvest!
  2. I'm a mom to two thirty-somethings: a high school teaching daughter and computer/electrical engineering son; and a nana to two of the cutest and orneriest grandsons, age 2 & 5.
  3. Besides quilting, I love antiquing and collect many things including jadeite dishes, toy sewing machines, vintage Christmas ornaments, old sewing notions, and yardsticks.
  4. If I'm not quilting, I'm crafting or decorating and I share those projects on this blog too.
  5. I love to travel, but don't get to do as much as I'd like. Right now, I'm planning my annual Girl's Quilting Road Trip for my birthday in August. There are eight of us who will be loading up in the van for a 3-day shop hopping extravaganza that will include a day at Missouri Star Quilt Co.! Can't wait.
Be sure to check out my hive mates who are also introducing themselves this week:
Then stop by one of our blog hop hosts - Stephanie @ Late Night QuilterCheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs Yvonne @ Quilting JetGirl - for details on this week's giveaways.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and getting to know me a little better!

~Sharla


http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/07/2016-new-quilt-bloggers-blog-hop.html

36 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed visiting your blog. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sharla: I've lost track of you (and many others) since last years hop. I love the direction your work is going in. Chain Links and Robots in a Row are great designs. You have so much talent. It's wonderful to see it taking off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharla,

    Loved getting to know you a bit more. I love the robot quilt. I envy the slow lifestyle. I often dream of that. Love your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, you do nice work, thanks for sharing.
    cork@pa.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool pinwheel blocks. Smart! And I love the colors you used in the chainlink quilt. Great work! Good to meet you on this blog hop, and hope you get some well-deserved time with your quilts now that you've harvested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. howdy from texas, love the boot and howdy; it's now on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your quilts are fantastic ! I absolutely adore the chain link pattern and the colour choices are superb! You've had some great successes as well, well done! Thanks for the blogging tip, those buttons look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharla, I really enjoyed reading your post and getting to know more about you. Wow! Your Quilts are stunning and I love that spinner pattern. Well done, I look forward to seeing more of your amazing works. I need that give that social media buttons a try...very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Sharla! Your spinners pattern is really something! How exciting to have it included in the Quilter's Planner! I am anxiously awaiting ordering information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharla, it has been a pleasure to watch you grow as a quilter over the past year. Seeing your quilt designs come together is so much fun. I hope you have a great week in the hop this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy popping by and reading your blog. It's been fun to be on the hop with you again this year. Looks like you have had a very busy year in the design department.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharla, it is very much fun to read along with you. You have wonderful projects in the making. Congratulations about the inclusion of your Spinners block in the 2017 Quilter's Planner. That is no small thing! I imagine your grandson just loves the "Robots All In A Row" quilt? I know I would. As for tips on great online resources on textile design, I hve none but will happily read along with the answers you collect. And I surwe would be curious to see pictures of your many collections, which sound intriguing.
    =)
    And while I might be outing myself as being ignorant... what is a cup 'o' joe'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharla, about this Polaroid Photo quilts - I faced the same problem but then 'Quilters to the rescue!' I asked for help andgot it too. I guess you could ask around for orphaned Polaroids if you were fine with getting all sizes OR you could ask your trusty quilting network, i.e. your Hive Sewciety mates =) for fussy cuts in the size of your choice. You would have the fabrics you need in no time.

      Delete
  13. Sharla, What wonderful quilts, they are so fun! Love the robots and hope you get to writing a pattern!Great getting you know you on this hop, so many wonderful talented quilters. TSF. Hugs, Heide

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Sharla. I love your quilts, you are so talented, especially the robots and Chainlinks, I really like Whirl and Twirl too. Thank you for sharing.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilts are wonderful! Those robots are super cute. I love your photos of the wheat harvest on Instagram. I love being able to see for miles and miles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I first found your blog when looking for a pattern that was quick and easy for fat quarters and your lovely Big And Bold Star pattern was perfect! I made one for my brother in law's birthday using football themed fabric and I will be making another one soon. I have followed your blog since then and I enjoy seeing what you create. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sharla! I love your newest quilts! Congrats on having a quilt in the planner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your Howdy Y'all quilt! So adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post Sharla! Your quilts are wonderful and you've got some design chops! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shares your quilt designs are fantastic. I'm also very envious that you are going to the Missouri Star Quilt Company. You and your friends are definitely lucky ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shares your quilt designs are fantastic. I'm also very envious that you are going to the Missouri Star Quilt Company. You and your friends are definitely lucky ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sharla! Thanks for sharing your quilts and tips with us. I just love that "Howdy Y'all" quilt. What fun!
    Shop hops with friends are the greatest. Hope you have a great time (especially at Missouri Star! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sharla, Great post! It was fun reading all about you! No wonder your Spinners block was a winner, it is fanstastic! LOVE that secondary pattern thingy going on there. Thanks so much for visiting my blog too. I'm slowly making my away around to everyone. I can't believe all the talent that is out there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Sharla! Nice to meet you! I got caught up going back to last year's post and left a really great comment there! Very nice robot quilt. I will be making my grandson a robot quilt this fall sometime and am looking for a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice post - so many nice patterns you have made! Glad I came by!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, My favorite quilt of yours was the robots until I scrolled further to see your spinner - now I'm undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Sharla!: I'm commenting again to see if I still show up as no-reply. Let me know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE your quilts! I definitely need to learn to make some social media buttons for my page. Yours are awesome. ;) Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your quilts are lovely! What wonderful patterns. Congratulations. It's been so much fun getting to know everyone in the blog hop, but I'd love to get to know you better. Your tips were good ones--I want to personalize my social media icons too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was really glad you were able to take part again this year . A great recommendation to do it twice ! It's lovely to revisit your makes this year , the robots are still my favourite . Looking forward to hearing about your quilt trip

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed learning more about you and your quilts. Your robot quilt is so cute! Good luck with your future pattern making adventures. Your social media icons turned out great, too. It's hard to believe this is the last day of the hop. It has been a good learning experience for me, and I appreciate everyone's help.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Howdy Sharla. Love that chain link piece, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Sharla, you have a very nice blog site. I absolutely love your robot quilt. I too have two ornery little wonderful grandsons and two ornery grand daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't ornery grandkids the best? Sorry I couldn't respond by email, but you are showing as a no-reply blogger and I couldn't find a way to respond. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  34. Hi Sharla, nice to meet you! Great post and your blog buttons ARE adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.