Thursday, May 26, 2016

Howdy Y'all: A Moda Bake Shop Recipe

Yee Haw! I'm kicking up my heels with excitement. I have a new 'recipe' on Moda Bake Shop today as part of their ABC Birthday Quilt Along. So scoot a boot over there to check out my "Howdy Y'all" quilt and tutorial on how to make my Cowboy Boot filler block!
Howdy Y'all Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio for Moda Bake Shop. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

When MBS put out an invitation to submit project ideas for their birthday co-hosting application, I immediately thought of this Howdy Y'all banner quilt. When I think of Moda, I think of visiting their warehouse in Dallas on our way to quilt market in Houston back in my quilt shop days. And I think of Lissa Alexander (ModaLissa) and our Moda rep, Laura; both of whom exude southern hospitality and charm. I also had been toying with the idea of making a quilted banner to hang on the fence on our farm to welcome friends and family.


Bread 'n Butter Jelly Roll by American Jane on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I chose American Jane's new fabric line called "Bread 'n Butter" because I thought it had a wonderful country girl feel to it. The background fabric is an American Jane basic pindot. I just love a pindot background!

Cowboy Boot Block Tutorial on Moda Bake Shop by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
My recipe on MBS is a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the cowboy boot filler block, but I also included a short explanation and cutting instructions to make the quilt too.

Spell It With Moda letter blocks by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Of course, the quilt features Moda's "Spell It With Fabric" letter patterns which is the basis of the ABC Birthday QAL.

Howdy Y'all Quilt closeup by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I used a new long-arm quilting pattern on this quilt called Marmalade by Leisha Farnsworth at Urban Elementz on this quilt and I just love it!

Pieced Quilt Back by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
The back really shows off the quilting! I inserted three rows of strips through the center of the back because my quilt was just a little too wide for one width of 45" width fabric, but I love a pieced back and I think this turned out awesome (if I may say so myself).

Howdy Y'all Quilt for Moda Bake Shop by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Now I can't wait to have my quilty friends over so I can hang my 'Howdy Y'all' quilt. Most people tell their friends "Come on over and I'll put on a pot of coffee", but I'll be like "Let me know before you stop by and I'll hang my quilt!" Ha, Ha!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/05/howdy-yall-moda-bake-shop-recipe.html


5 comments:

  1. Haha, I love that you'll hang a quilt to welcome company. Lovely design and congratulations on being featured in the Bake Shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharla, you are too funny! I actually chuckled when I read the part about hanging your quilt instead of putting on a pot of coffee. I think the banner turned out great and those pinwheels really set the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you hung your country banner with calico and gingham bows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the Moda Bake Shop Recipe. It looks fun and inviting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you tell me how much of the background fabric I should purchase? My sister is going to love this!
    Thank you for your help in advance!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.