Saturday, June 4, 2016

Playing Catch Up: May Is For Makers

May was a crazy month in this farmhouse as we've been a bit disconnected. With one of the many spring storms that rolled through western Kansas in the last month or more, our house was hit by lightening. We've lived on the farm for more than 22 years and it was a first for us. The lightening entered through our cable TV dish and fried our satellite TV equipment, wifi and computer. Luckily, nothing else was damaged and the house didn't catch on fire. It happened at 4:45 a.m. The loud boom woke my hubby up with a jolt. I, on the other hand, slept blissfully through it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So finally, after more that a month, I have a new computer up and running (thanks to the family computer expert, my brother, who came home for Memorial weekend and assembled my components). I managed to keep up with most things through my phone (which my hubby thinks is permanently attached to my hand now) throughout this whole ordeal. Technology withdrawals - it's a real thing people! Ha, ha!

So now I'm playing catch up. And one of the things I wanted to participate in this last month was a movement started by another quilt blogger, Lindsey Rhodes, called "May Is For Makers".
May Is For Makers | LRstitched.com
The goal of the "May Is For Makers" movement is to support independent pattern designers by purchasing one pattern each week during the month of May. There is so much free stuff on the internet that it has devalued the work of pattern designers, and Lindsey wanted to show them that we appreciate all the hard work that goes into designing, writing, testing, photographing, publishing, etc. patterns for the quilting and sewing community. I know I'm guilty of finding free patterns online or drawing up my own pattern inspired by a photo I've seen online. Heck, I've even shared a few free patterns here on my blog.  But I aspire to design and sell patterns, so I wanted to support the industry just as I hope, someday, other quilters and sewists will support me.

So today, I started surfing Craftsy for a few patterns I've admired and I purchased five - one for each week in May. Hey, better late than never! I ended up gravitating toward paper piecing patterns and they are all ones that I can make as mini quilts to add to my collection hanging in my studio.

Jeli Quilt's Double Goosed on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Double Goosed" photo by Jeli Quilts
The first pattern I purchased was this "Double Goosed" block by Jeli Quilts. I follow her on Instagram and love her flying geese patterns and have been wanting to purchase one for quite some time, but it took something like this movement to get me in gear.

"Vintage Dresses" pattern by Charise Creates on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Vintage Dresses" photo by Charise Creates
Next, was another cute paper piecing pattern I fell in love with on IG: "Vintage Dresses" by Charise Creates. Sew adorable!

"Geometric Sewing Machine" pattern by Quiet Play on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Geometric Sewing Machine" photo by Quiet Play
And I definitely needed a sewing machine mini for my sewing studio! Isn't this "Geometric Sewing Machine" by Quiet Play awesome!

"Fractal Quilt Block" by Patty Sloniger on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Fractal Quilt Block" photo by Patty Sloniger
The next two I stumbled upon while perusing the patterns on Craftsy. This one is called "Fractal Quilt Block" by Patty Sloniger. This would make a really cool scrappy quilt, in either prints or solids!

"Hexagonia" Quilt Block by Piece By Number on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Hexagonia" photo by Piece By Number
And lastly, I found this one called "Hexagonia" by Piece By Number. Again, this would make an awesome scrappy quilt. I love this sample picture using 30's fabrics.

Thanks to the "May Is For Makers" idea, I have five really cool patterns to add to my collection. And hopefully, one of these days I'll actually get around to making them! But for now, I'll enjoy reading the patterns.


Patterns Purchased From Craftsy by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
On a side note, I've never taken the time to look around on Craftsy. I know, I'm behind the times. But, how cool it was to purchase patterns from the UK, Switzerland, Australia and the US in one transaction! Plus, they are PDF downloads so I got the patterns immediately, no waiting days or weeks for a package to arrive!

May is over, but that doesn't mean it's too late to jump on the "May Is For Makers" bandwagon and show some love to our fellow quilters and talented designers. I'm so glad I did!

~Sharla


http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/06/playing-catch-up-may-is-for-makers.html

8 comments:

  1. I love every one of the purchased patterns . I should try the geese one now I have mastered geese but I particularly like the dresses . Gosh Sharla , your home hit by a lightening storm . How dreadful . I'm glad no quilts were damaged in the storm . Since the blog hop last year my husband thinks I live my life through my phone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Thanks for sharing. I love the Fractal Quilt block. It might be good for a project our Guild has going for the fall. I love lightening storms and coming from western Canada I know those huge storms that roll across the prairies in Summer can be awe-inspiring/terrifying depending on how close to home they hit. Glad the damage wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some paper piecing in your future!!! These are all fantastic choices. I'm not a paper piercer. Ice never tried. But I really like that double goosed pattern. It might be time to try.
    Your new social media buttons are fantastic. They fit your blog completely. You are so creative and techy!!! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scary! Sounds like you deserved a little e-retail therapy. ;) Love your purchases, especially the Fractal Quilt Block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that everything is fixed and you did not have more damage from the lightning strike; how scary! Those are all lovely patterns and I hope you enjoy working with them. I thought Lindsey's May is for Makers was a lovely thing and I will definitely look forward to it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved May is for Makers! My goal was to buy 1 pattern per week and I ended up with 2 individual patterns and 4 books LOL. Love everything you picked! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for including one of my patterns in your MIFM, I really appreciate the support.
    I hope that you didn't have a lot of damage from the lightning strike!
    Kelly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for share a great post. this is a lot informative and ideal for human .. Because of the knowledge. top rated golf rangefinders

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.