Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rainy Day Baking

I love to bake when it's rainy out! We haven't had a lot of rainy days in recent years, so these rainy days are so appreciated. So, with a bunch of bananas that were way past eating prime for me (I like my bananas almost green), I decided to make my favorite Banana Nut Bread. It's yummy and moist, and so good warmed with butter on it.


Banana Sour Cream Bread
 
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
3 cups white sugar
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I didn't have any sour cream or walnuts and living on a farm in the country means you make due with what you have (especially when its raining because you don't want to tear up the muddy roads). So, I substituted strawberry yogurt for the sour cream and pecans for the walnuts. Mmmmmm, it turned out even yummier!

While the bread was baking, I put chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot for supper. Now I have the whole afternoon to sew.....after I do the dishes!

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. I don't have loaf pans this small. Would I do anything differently if I used larger loaf pans (9x5")?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.