Monday, May 18, 2015

Ironing Board Cover Tutorial

I have a table top ironing board next to my sewing machine on my sewing table. It has needed a facelift for quite some time and today I finally took a couple of hours to make a new cover. It's was really simple to make.

Start with your cover fabric and a lining fabric at least 4" larger all the way around than your ironing board top. With right sides together, lay your fabric on a table and place your ironing board on top of the fabric face down.

Make marks 2 1/2" around the perimeter of the ironing board top (4" if you are making a cover for a regular size ironing board).

Draw a line connecting the marks.

Cut on the line through both layers of fabric. Pin the layers together.

Sew 1/4" around the perimeter of the fabric, leaving a 3" opening to turn the fabric.
 
At the opening, turn the edge up 1/4" and press. Repeat for the fabric on the other side. Turn inside out and press the seam.

Stitch around the edge close to the seam using a zipper foot, leaving opening unsewn to insert the elastic. Stitch completely around a second time 3/4" from the edge to create a casing for the elastic.

Insert 1/4" elastic into the casing. Pin the ends together, then fit the cover over the ironing board. Adjust the amount of elastic to provide a snug fit but still remain easy to remove the cover. Sew the elastic ends together. Sew the opening closed.

And there you have a simple ironing board cover. Way prettier than what was on it before!

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this information. I have an oversized ironing board and finding a form fitting cover is near impossible. Now thanks to you I can spend time doing what I love instead of searching on the web for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.