Monday, June 19, 2017

What?!! My First Design Client!

To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement. Following my post last week about the Spoonflower tea towel I designed using my grandmother's handwritten recipes, I was contacted by a blog reader asking if I would be interested in designing one for her. I was excited for the challenge and we soon reached an agreement. Woo Hoo! My first fabric design client!

The whole experience went as smooth as butter, although on my end, I was a little nervous that I would meet the expectations of my client. But she sent photos of family elements that she wanted to include and it gave me all the direction I needed. (edit/update: I should have included that the quilt in the background was made by my client's grandmother who's recipe is featured, along with her grandparents' photos. The 50th anniversary pottery plates were custom made by M.A. Hadley of Kentucky). I'm happy that my client was pleased with this final design:
Custom Tea Towel Designed By Thistle Thicket Studio, to be printed at Spoonflower.com. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Because I wanted to give her options, I designed a couple of other similar layouts, including this one with a plain background:
Custom Tea Towel Designed By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I enjoyed this experience so much and learned a few new things, like converting .png files to .jpg files. Simple to do, but I'd never worked with .png files and so never had the need to learn.

Thank you Paula for such an awesome experience! I'm looking forward to seeing where this whole design thing will take me, but for now I'm enjoying the process.

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/06/what-my-first-design-client.html

5 comments:

  1. I can't express enough what a pleasure this has been! i didn't have the expertise nor did I need another project but I knew I needed to do something to preserve some of our most precious times! My mother can no longer see (macular degeneration) and cooking has become a challenge for her. These will be so precious to the family members that will receive them later this year. I sent Sharla some pictures and recipes and was beyond excited with her work. My mother taught me to quilt and the background is a quilt I have of hers, entirely made by hand. Thank you Sharla, I know I put you a little out of your comfort zone but you nailed it!! Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula for such a fun experience and for being such an awesome first client! I hope you and your family enjoy your tea towels!

      Delete
  2. Although it was your first design but still it is attractive and eye catching for which I would like to appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love how it came together and you can't beat doing something fun, learning, and having a happy client. Hooray and congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh . Firstly congratulations Sharla on your new fabric and pleasing your client . And secondly that's a lovely story Paula has and it is great you were able to follow this through

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.