Saturday, June 10, 2017

My Take On The Spoonflower Tea Towel

I'm sure everyone has seen the Spoonflower tea towel - the one with the handwritten recipe printed on it. I've wanted to make my own version ever since I saw that towel pop up on my social media a few years ago. Well, here is my take featuring some of my maternal grandma's handwritten recipes.

My take on the Spoonflower Tea Towel featuring my grandmother's handwritten recipes. Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I decided I wanted to layer multiple recipe cards so that I had a vertical design, rather than using just one card that created a horizontal design.

My take on the Spoonflower Recipe Tea Towel featuring my grandmother's handwritten recipes. Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
To add interest I photographed some of my vintage green kitchen utensils to add to the composition. I added an old photo of my grandma standing in front of the stove cooking. I pulled the aqua blue background color from the lines on the recipe cards. I did all of the designing in Photoshop Elements.

My take on the Spoonflower Recipe Tea Towel featuring my grandmother's handwritten recipes. Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I have been busy the last week sewing the 3 yards of linen fabric I ordered with this design into a dozen tea towels. Most of them my mom is giving to her sisters and brother this week at their annual Siblings Week (I hope she has already gifted them or this post may be a spoiler!).  I added a band with my logo and care instructions to those. Of course I kept one for me, and I am giving one to my daughter.

I am over-the-moon excited with my tea towel design. Have you made your own tea towel design? Tell me about it in the comments! Next, I'd love to design a calendar tea towel - those are just so retro and fun!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/06/my-take-on-spoonflower-tea-towel.html


2 comments:

  1. What a sweet, sweet design, Sharla! I hope the whole family appreciates the care and thought you put into making these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea . I don't think I have anything of my grandparents writing , I wish I did

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.