Saturday, September 13, 2014

Quilting Tip....Add Interest To Big Block Quilts With SnW Blocks

My latest quilting obsession has been Stack 'n Whack and One Block Wonder quilts. Both quilts involve layering four, six or eight repeats of fabric exactly one on top of the other, then cutting the fabric into strips and then into squares or triangles. Those squares or triangles are then arranged in a kaleidoscope-effect and sewn together.

There are some great books out there that explain how to make these blocks, plus there are tutorials on the web too.

Here's my tip - those four-patch Stack 'n Whack blocks can add some additional pizazz to quilt patterns that feature big squares, such as the BQ pattern by Maple Island Quilts!

I inserted SnW blocks into my version of the BQ quilt pattern (for my version, I reduced the overall block size from an 18" block to a 12" block) and then added sashing between the blocks.

I just loved how it turned out!

This quilt is currently at the quilters, but it's destined to show up here again when it's completed!

And since I mentioned that I also have been obsessed with the One Block Wonder quilt, here's my first completed quilt top (also at the quilters). I'm calling it "Dance of the Water Lilies".

 So what's your latest quilting obsession?

~Sharla

4 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt! Excellent idea to mix the SnW blocks inside other patterns. I've "seen" the cover of the book One Block Wonders but haven't looked at it. We'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered the BQ pattern, would like to get a head start on making blocks. Love the look of your. Can you tell me the size your SnW blocks came out? You said you reduced it to a 12 in block, would that make the SnW portion about 9 inches in your quilt? lovieball@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a 9" finished block (9 1/2" unfinished).

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the blue and gold SnW quilt!! I want to learn how you made it. I assume I need to first buy the Maple Island Quilts book. Then what? Thanks in advance for your advice.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.