Sunday, September 14, 2014

One-of-a-Kind Keepsake Quilts

I have two grandkids, and like every Nana, I want to give them everything. But I especially wanted to give them a one-of-a-kind keepsake when they were born. What could be more special than a photo quilt of their family at the time of their birth? There are several photo printing fabrics available on the market that make it 'sew' easy to do (I used June Taylor's Sew-In Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers). There is even a pattern or two out there to help you make that special quilt if you wish.

My first grandson's room was all decked out in a green and brown monkey theme. All excited for the new challenge, I decided to design my own quilt. The "Monkey See, Monkey Do" quilt features photos of each family member on the tummy of a monkey. To blend in with the color scheme, all of the pictures were printed in sepia tone. The monkeys sit on 3-D leaves or swing from 3-D vines and have floppy legs:


The "Monkey See, Monkey Do" quilt was made to be displayed on a wall, so those 3-D vines were never a danger to the baby.

Yellow and gray chevrons was the theme for my second grandson's room. The modern geometrics called for a simpler quilt, so I opted to use Amy Bradley's "The Hoots" pattern for this one-of-a-kind quilt. This time, the photos are featured on the tummies of owls; and to coordinate with the color scheme, the photos were printed in black and white.

So, whether it's for a new arrival, a special anniversary or a milestone birthday, consider making a photo quilt for that one-of-a-kind keepsake gift.

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. Very Cute! We're going to have another grand daughter in a few weeks! Idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.