Monday, October 10, 2022

Halloween Stars Sew-Along: Fabric Cutting

Halloween Stars Sew-Along by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Yay! Today is the day! Let's start the Halloween Stars Sew-Along! Today is organization and cutting day.

Valiant Quilt Pattern by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
If you haven't already, get your Valiant quilt pattern from my patterns shop (click HERE). The pattern includes multiple sizes (baby, throw, full, queen and king). I'm making the baby size as a table topper for this sew-along.

Halloween Stars Sew-Along by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Gather your fabric according to the size quilt you are making. I selected a small white print for my background but I think a black background would be super spooky fun! I fell in love with the black plaid in my first photo and I selected a bright green for my stars from the colors in the plaid fabric. Then I selected a complimentary contrasting color from the fabric (orange) for my fourth fabric. I debated where to place the plaid and orange but finally decided to use the plaid for the stripes and the orange as the cornerstones (option #1). Mocking up the quilt in EQ8 using my fabrics really helped to make fabric placement decisions!

Fabric Cutting Tips:

I’m sure you’ve heard this all before, but it never hurts to be reminded. 

1. Use a new blade in your rotary cutter.

2. Consider replacing any rulers that are notched from use or have broken corners.

3. Place your mat on a solid surface. Plastic folding tables can give under the downward force from cutting and can cause your cutting to be inaccurate.

4. Use your ruler for measuring, not your mat. Not all mats are accurate. I have one mat that is off by 1/4” from 0 to 24”.

5. Straighten your fabric before cutting. Selvedges should be parallel to each other. Place your parallel selvedges along a straight line on your mat then cut perpendicular to the selvedges/line to get a straight edge.

6. Recut a new perpendicular edge after a few strip cuts to straighten the fabric edge again. Unfold a strip and if it has a dip or bow at the fold, cut a new perpendicular edge.

7. When cutting long strips, move your hand down the ruler as you cut to keep the ruler from slipping. Or consider folding your fabric in half again lengthwise by placing the fold over and parallel to the selvedges, which allows for making shorter cuts and is easier to keep the ruler from slipping.

8. Use rulers with grip on the back or place adhesive grip dots on the back of your rulers to help prevent slippage.

9. Measure and remeasure before cutting. Measure twice, cut once.

Halloween Stars Sew-Along by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Do you have any tips to add? Share in the comments!

Happy Quilting!

~Sharla




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.