Thursday, December 28, 2017

My Second Textile Design Client

Now that Christmas is over, I can share a couple of design projects I did this fall. They are both tea towels, one for myself and one for a client, which I'll share first. I was honored to be asked by my sister-in-law to design a recipe tea towel using her mother's recipe cards. She wanted to give the tea towels as gifts to her sisters.


Custom Designed Recipe Tea Towel Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I chose the color scheme based on the colors in the graphic on one of the recipe cards used in the design. I designed the background with pinstripes in two colorways. The pinstripes helped add interest and depth to the design. Instead of adding photographs of cooking utensils, like I did in a previous design I did, I decided to draw utensils because I could color them in the same range of colors as the graphic.


Custom Designed Recipe Tea Towel Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
My SIL chose the blue background for her tea towels, but when Spoonflower had a sale on fat quarters I ordered a yellow one to include in my samples. If you are not familiar with Spoonflower, it is an online digital fabric printing company that I use to print my designs on fabric. 


Custom Designed Recipe Tea Towel Designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
There is something so satisfying about seeing a stack of sewn, packaged and completed tea towels that I just have to photograph it.

Tea Towel Packaging For Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I've designed a band of cardstock with my logo on the front and laundry instructions on the back that I use to package the tea towels I design.


Thistle Thicket Studio Label by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
And now that I have woven logo labels, I sew a label in the seam of each towel.

I hope my SIL and her family enjoy the towels as much as I enjoyed designing them. I hope it is a keepsake they will cherish.

~Sharla

P.S. This is my one completion for the 2017 Finish-A-Long 4th Quarter, so I will be linking up to the linky party when its posted on December 31st. To see my Q4 goals, click here.


http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/12/my-second-textile-design-client.html

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet and thoughtful idea for a gift. You did a great job designing this for your SIL. I love your new little labels and card stock bands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous! I’m thinking Ahead to next Christmas and ordering tea towels for my daughter and my nieces with their grandma’s recipes on them! I’ll be baaack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing, Sharla! I hope everyone enjoyed receiving them as gifts this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool gift idea. These are lovely! Thanks for participating on behalf of the FAL crew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cool! On behalf of the FAL hosts, thank you for joining us!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.