Thursday, November 2, 2017

Molecules of Moda & Me At Market

What a whirlwind weekend I had thanks to Moda Fabrics! This past weekend was International Quilt Market in Houston, a wholesale trade show for the quilting industry. My "Molecules of Moda: Bella Solids" quilt was displayed in Moda's booth at Quilt Market this weekend and I was lucky enough to attend!

"Molecules of Moda: Bella Solids" Quilt Designed & Made By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
My quilt placed 3rd in the Moda Bella Challenge which was announced last week on Moda's blog "The Cutting Table". Here I am with my quilt at market. I'm holding a mini quilt I made called "Just The Atom", which is a small section of the larger quilt.

Moda Bella Challenge Winners on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
The top three quilts of the Moda Bella Challenge were displayed at Market. The first place winner was "Mountain Balloon Festival" by Katherine Jones of Tasmania, Australia. The second place winner was "Moda Bella" by Janet Jones of Alamosa, Colorado. Since the quilts were all required to use the same fabrics, they really looked awesome hanging together.

"Mountain Balloon Festival" by Katherine Jones on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Mountain Balloon Festival" by Katherine Jones on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
The balloon quilt was beautiful and the quilting was awesome. I watched Kat's progress on Instagram (@twocatsquilts) as she created the quilt and knew it was a winner. Kat was the artist who created "Bling" which won Best of Show at QuiltCon this year.

"Moda Bella" by Janet Jones on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Janet's quilt was a personalized Moda quilt, featuring names of all the Moda designers and store fronts and cars with Moda names and ties. Janet used to be a quilt shop owner. 

"Moda Bella" by Janet Jones on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Dunn's Duds is a shout out to Moda Fabrics owner Mark Dunn and a nod to his dapper attire.

"Moda Bella" by Janet Jones on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
This quilt had tons of details!

Moda Fabrics' Mark Dunn with Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I was honored to meet Mark Dunn and have him sign my mini quilt "Just The Atom".

"Just The Atom" Mini Quilt By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
This mini quilt was a section that I messed up while making my quilt so I tossed it aside and made a new section. I used this section to test my quilting ideas, which helped me to eliminate techniques that I didn't like, such as using the trim feature around the circles and using variegated thread, and allowed me to practice techniques that I hadn't done before, like burying threads. This mini is full of all the mistakes and challenges I encountered while making my "Molecules of Moda" quilt and will be my little memento of the bigger quilt (since that quilt is now a part of Mr. Dunn's personal quilt collection).

"Just The Atom" Mini Quilt By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Just The Atom" Mini Quilt By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Sewn into the back of the mini are corner triangles that also serve as my quilt labels and hangers.

Third Place Moda Bella Challenge Ribbon for Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
My mom went with me to quilt market and we had the best time. I made some valuable contacts that I hope in the future will materialize into something, met some Instagram friends in person for the first time, touched base with some old friends and saw lots of beautiful and inspiring quilts. It really was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I truly thank Moda Fabrics for the opportunity.

Our week-long, 2200 mile road trip also allowed us to spend time with my grandsons and daughter, visit some cousins, see my son's new home, shop a few quilt shops and spend lots of windshield time together. Give me a day to rest and I'll be ready to go again!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/11/molecules-of-moda-me-at-market.html


2 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I love your quilt, such a clever design and beautifully executed. A perfect example of modern quilting in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.