Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Season Of Giving On IG

We are entering into the season of giving with Thanksgiving and Christmas just weeks away. Many people look for ways to give back to their community at this time of year, whether it's angel trees, food banks, toy drives, etc. Did you know there are giving opportunities for the quilty community on Instagram as well?

Batman Blue RK Block Made By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I had seen the 'Get Your Quilty Wishes Granted' hashtag last year but didn't look into it much, so when I saw it making circles on IG last month I wanted to participate. The idea is to post your quilting wants or needs in a post with this year's hashtag #getyourquiltywishesgranted3 and people who want to participate can read through posts that are tagged with the hashtag to find a wish that they can grant. Once you've granted a wish or two, then you can ask for your own wishes to be granted. I didn't have any needs or wants but wanted to help someone else out by granting their wish and I found the perfect wish because it was another giving project that I've been wanting to participate in.

Blue RK Block Made By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Mona also didn't have a need or want to ask for so she decided to ask for blue RK blocks to make a quilt for the #bluerkblocks project on IG. This project is near and dear to my heart because it is a project that is making quilts for the families of fallen police officers here in the U.S. and is the idea of another Instagrammer (Crafty Cop) who also happens to be a police officer. Since she posted her idea on IG July 5th with the hashtag #bluerkblocks, she has received enough blocks to make 99 quilts and 1 quilt has been gifted. I decided to grant Mona's wish and make her some blue RK blocks to make a quilt. I made a total of 10. That Batman block is my fav!

Orphan Quilt Blocks By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Later, Mona also asked for orphan blocks for another project so I rounded up a few of those and packaged them all up today to mail to her. I'm happy that someone else will be able to use my orphan blocks rather than them stuffed in a cubby and never used.

I am so happy that I could help Mona out and I can't wait to see her finished Blue RK Block quilt. I still want to make one of my own to give but at least I was able to contribute to the cause now. What quilty giving do you do this time of year?

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/11/the-season-of-giving-on-ig.html

2 comments:

  1. you were kind enough to grant my quilty wish too Sharla. I haven't got back to that with you. 2018 is a whole new year! I have put the recipe i was looking for in a very safe place, it is here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blue blocks but Batman has to be my favourite too. I saw it on Instagram but as I don't know how to work it properly I didn't join in. I am such a technophobe. :-(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.