Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Spell It With Moda Quilt: FAL Q4 Finish #1

WooHoo! I actually have done a bit of sewing - a wee bit. But it resulted in a finish for the 4th quarter of the 2016 Finish-A-Long!
Thistle Thicket Studio, Spell It With Moda, Sunkissed fabric, moda fabric, abc quilt

I started this Spell It With Moda quilt at the beginning of the year while we were camping in Texas, then put it aside when we returned home in the spring. I picked it back up during down times in our never-ending wheat harvest this summer and finished the top.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Spell It With Moda, Moda, Sunkissed fabric, abc quilt, letter quilt blocks

I loaded the quilt on the longarm before we left on our girls Row by Row road trip in August and there it sat while I was in Kansas City with my mom following the accident. I finally quilted it last month when mom returned home after 2 1/2 months in the hospital/rehab. Then, I tucked it away again while preparing for our houseful of guests over Thanksgiving week. This past weekend I finally had the chance to put the binding on and finish it up!
Thistle Thicket Studio, Speill It With Moda, moda, Sunkissed fabric, scrappy backing

Quilt Stats:
  • Quilt Pattern: Spell It With Moda. I altered the pattern and framed each letter block with each block's background fabric.
  • Fabric: Fat quarter bundle of Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda.
  • Finished Size: 60" x 60"
  • Backing & Binding: I made a scrappy backing and binding using the left over fabric.
  • Batting: White Quilter's Dream Cotton.
  • Quilting: Quilted on a Gammill Statler longarm using random straight lines set at a -87 degrees, then copying and flipping the lines horizontally to quilt a mirror image of the lines in the opposite direction.
  • Thread: Piecing thread was Aurifil 2024 50 wt. Quilting thread was Signature Solids in White, Oyster Shell, Hot Pink and Daisy.
  • Photo Assistant: The Birthday Boy, my hubby, who is celebrating his 57th birthday today!
I'll be linking this post up to the FAL Q4 link up when it opens. To see my 4th quarter FAL goals, click here.

I kept my Q4 goals small so maybe I'll be able to accomplish more than one this round! Keeping my fingers crossed....

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/12/spell-it-with-moda-quilt-fal-q4-finish-1.html


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday to your husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely quilt, perfect for boy or girl and you have made it a very usable size too. Happy Birthday to your husband, I hope you have a lovely time celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look great. I think I would not have the patience to do the entire ABC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and good for you to finish it off. I have to say I especially love the back on this one. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.