Saturday, December 3, 2016

A Christmas Decorating DIY: Vintage Santa Mug Arrangement

Wow! Did we really just flip the calendar page to December? Christmas is my favorite time of year and I love to decorate, but this year I'm afraid it will be here and gone before I get my tree up. So to help me get into the decorating spirit, I decided to make a little vintage Christmas ornament project. I found a cute little Santa mug while antiquing this fall and it was just begging for me to take him home and deck him out. And today I did!
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments, vintage arrangement

I've collected vintage Christmas ornaments for years, so I gathered a few supplies from my stash and made this arrangement in less than 20 minutes. Don't you just love that little bottle brush tree with all the glitter! And I really scored when I found four packages of that vintage tinsel garland this fall!
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments, vintage arrangement

First I cut down a styrofoam ball to fit inside the mug and hot glued vintage tinsel garland on the top for the base on which to build the arrangement.
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments,vintage arrangement

I used a wooden skewer to poke holes in the Styrofoam for the ornaments and hot glued them into place, placing the taller ornaments in the back and the smaller ornaments in the front. After placing the larger ornaments, I filled in the gaps with the smallest ornaments. Ta-da! The front....
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments, vintage arrangement

And the back...
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments, vintage arrangement

This makes the cutest little arrangement to tuck on a shelf to add a little Christmas cheer.
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage santa mug, vintage Christmas ornaments, vintage arrangement

Ho! Ho! Ho! Just what I needed to get me in the Christmas spirit!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/12/a-christmas-decorating-diy-vintage.html

2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas mug - so jolly and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Christmas mug both before and after his tranformation . Like myself , I'm not surprised these last few months have whirled by. We seem to have decided less is more this year for Christmas decoration - my husband put them up but he only out some things up , we've been battling this one fir years !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.