Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Pinniepalooza

Moda's Carrie Nelson, otherwise known as @modarosie on Instagram, has been a little pincushion obsessed lately. She challenged herself to make a pincushion-a-day during the month of July and she wrapped up her obsession with a post on Moda's Cutting Table blog today called "This isn't just about tomatoes". People were invited to post photos of their 'pinnies' on Instagram today using the hashtag #modapinniepalooza and it inspired me to finish this pin bowl project I had started awhile back. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it and love the tumbleweed (thistle) that is my logo and, of course, the jadeite green color!
Thistle Thicket Studio, pin bowl, custom logo pin bowl

I'm not really a pincushion aficionado, however, I love a cute pinnie, especially if its vintage. I picked up this globe pincushion, complete with thimble and built-in tape measure, last winter at the Vintage Whites antique show. I had never seen one like it and just had to get it. Maybe I just hadn't looked for vintage pincushions before because I have seen a couple of these since then.
Thistle Thicket Studio, pincushion, vintage pincushions, globe pincushion

My mom and I started our own obsession last summer with vintage planters, with the plan of making them into pincushions. We've searched high and low for them while antiquing this past year and now have quite an impressive collection, but only two have made it to pincushion status. The first one, I made for my 1 year blogiversary giveaway last September (wow, I'm coming up on two years soon?!).

The second one I made for my mom for Christmas. We still have hopes of hosting our quilty friends for a little lesson on English paper piecing and letting everyone pick a planter to make a pincushion with a little EPP hexie flower on top.
Thistle Thicket Studio, vintage planter, vintage planter pincushion, vintage pincushion, vintage sewing notions

Currently, this owl sits on my cutting table and serves as a pincushion. I love this owl and made him a couple of years ago from Whimsicals Home To Roost book and fabric. I also have a vintage jar on my cutting table that holds flower head pins (lower left corner).
Thistle Thicket Studio, cutting table, vintage scale, Home To Roost owl pincushion, vintage baby buggy, yardstick tray

Speaking of pins, I'm in search of a good straight pin, one that's thin, sharp, long, and with a glass head. Any suggestions? What's your favorite straight pin and pincushion?

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/08/pinniepalooza.html




1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.