Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Kraft-Tex Portfolio

A couple of weeks ago on The Moda Cutting Table blog, Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Co. talked about using Kraft-Tex in her latest bag pattern. Kraft-Tex is a paper product that feels like leather and sews like fabric. It's washable, and the more you wash it, the more soft and leather-like it looks and feels. In that Moda blog post, there were also a few photos of a portfolio made with Kraft-Tex. Since I was needing a folder to carry our travel itinerary, contacts, tickets, etc. for our girls' Row x Row Road Trip, I decided to make my own Kraft-Tex portfolio.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Kraft-Tex, portfolio, diy folder

I washed the whole roll of Kraft-Tex first, then set out to draft my pattern. I knew I wanted to applique a sewing machine on one side, add some fabric embellishments on the flap, have a business card pocket, and a divider to create a couple of compartments.

I started by cutting my Kraft-Tex to the size I wanted, cutting a concave curve on one end and a convex curve on the other, then tri-folded it to create a flap. On the inside, between the two folds, I fused a layer of fabric. Then on the outside between the two folds, I appliqued a sewing machine. Fusing the fabric on the inside gave me a backing to sew through so that the paper wouldn't tear along the perforations caused by the stitching.

I made a divider to create two pockets in my portfolio by fusing fabric on both sides of a piece of Peltex cut to size. I also made a business card holder and sewed it onto the inside under the flap. I punched holes along the curved edge of the outer flap and wove a strip of fabric through the holes and tied it in a knot. Lastly, I sewed down the sides with the fabric divider between the folded Kraft-Tex.
Thistle Thicket Studio, sewing portfolio, Kraft-Tex, diy folder

I love the way this portfolio turned out and sewing with the Kraft-Tex was fun. Although I didn't get to use my portfolio for our girls' road trip since it was cut short, I have been using it to keep all of my mom's medical paperwork together since the car accident. Hopefully, one day, I'll get to use it again for our next girls' road trip.

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/08/kraft-tex-portfolio.html

1 comment:

  1. A rather unfortunate use for your bag , I hope you get to use it again next year

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.