Monday, August 15, 2016

A Work In Progress: Medallion Quilt Challenge

I've blogged a couple of times about the medallion quilt challenge members of my quilt guild are working on this year, but it has been awhile so I thought I'd catch y'all up on my progress. {insert cheesy grin here} I'm so excited with the direction this quilt is going that I just have to share. Warning: photo overload ahead!
Thistle Thicket Studio, medallion quilt, quilt guild challenge, 3D pinwheels

As you may remember if you've stopped by before, we started out the year with the instruction to make a center block.
Thistle Thicket Studio, paper piecing, star block, medallion quilts, quilt guild challenge

From there, each month a new block or technique is drawn from a bag for the next instruction. The rounds to date have been drawn in the following order:
  • February - Applique
  • March - Rail Fence
  • April - Flying Geese
  • May - Wild Card (we could choose whatever we wanted to do)
  • June - Pinwheels
And since I'm behind and trying to catch up, the next two rounds that have been drawn are:
  • July - 4-patch
  • August - Piano Keys
I've tried to challenge myself each round. For our center square, I made a paper pieced star from the book "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars" by Carol Doak. I've done a little paper piecing, but not much, so I enjoyed taking on a larger project. As for applique, I enlarged the flowers in one of the pieces of fabric in the Antique Fair collection by Blackbird Designs that I'm using and used that for my applique.
Thistle Thicket Studio, medallion quilt, quilt guild challenge, machine applique, antique fair fabric

For the rail fence, I found a ribbon border that used the rail fence block to create it, which was a challenge to figure out the math to make it fit. I shared a tutorial on how to make the Rail Fence Ribbon Border here.
Thistle Thicket Studio, fence rail, ribbon border, medallion quilt, quilt guild challenge

Then I decided to place my center on point and make the setting triangles with the flying geese blocks. Talk about a math challenge! I ended up taking the corners off after this picture and trimming them up a little to take out some of the waviness.
Thistle Thicket Studio, medallion quilt, flying geese, quilt guild challenge

Luckily, the wild card was drawn next which allowed me to cut odd width strips to make my square a size divisible by 4 so that my next round of 4" pinwheels fit. To dress up that plain border, I added prairie points.
Thistle Thicket Studio, medallion quilt, prairie points, quilt guild challenge

And, for those pinwheels, I found a 3-D pinwheel pattern for a little variation from the standard pinwheel.
Thistle Thicket Studio, medallion quilt, quilt guild challenge, 3D pinwheels

I'm anxious to finish up the pinwheel border and move to the 4-patch & piano key borders because I've got something planned that I think will really set this quilt off. Can't wait to share more pictures at that point so you'll have to keep checking back! {wink, wink}

Our quilt guild is starting to talk about what next year's challenge will be. Do you belong to a guild? Do you have challenges? Please share your favorite quilt challenges for ideas!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/08/a-work-in-progress-medallion-quilt.html


2 comments:

  1. It's looking great, Sharla, and I look forward to seeing how it continues to grow. You definitely have my interest with your tease of ideas for the next two borders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt this is going to be. Each round in itself is a challenge!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.