Sunday, January 3, 2016

No Quilting Resolutions For Me

I'm swearing off any quilting related resolutions this year. I am terrible at them. Last year I made a resolution to tackle my UFOs stashed in my cubby corner. I only completed one from the entire list (which you can see here)! It was this One Block Wonder quilt....
One Block Wonder Quilt "Dance of the Water Lilies" by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I still want to tackle this cubby full of UFOs though. Oh, and the basket is full of finished quilt tops that need quilted and bound.

I think the number of UFOs is overwhelming, so I'm going to participate in All People Quilt's UFO Challenge 2016 & the 2016 Finish-A-Long. I think breaking it down into more manageable monthly & quarterly goals will help me make a dent in my overflowing UFO corner. The UFO Challenge provides a downloadable list to write down one project a month and it's status at the start of the month and at the end of the month. Then at the beginning of each month they randomly select a number and that's the project you work on that month. Maybe I'll just list the quilt tops that need quilted and bound for this challenge.

The 2016 Finish-A-Long is hosted by several quilt bloggers from around the world. At the beginning of each quarter, you post on your blog your list of UFOs that quarter that you want to work on to complete and then link up to their linky party. As you complete each project, you post about it on your blog and at the end of the quarter you again link each completed project to their linky party. Each completed project that you link is then eligible for prizes that will be given away! How cool is that - an extra incentive to finally finish up those UFOs!

I do have another goal for this year. I would love to learn how to design my own fabric. I have lots of ideas and a collection of vintage fabrics that I'd like to recreate and update with current color schemes. I've already developed the first three collections in my head. Now if I can just figure out the technical parts to bring it to fruition. I'm hoping that these books I received as Christmas presents will help get me started.

Do you have any recommended sources (free or minimal cost is always better) to help me with this whole fabric design goal? I'd love to hear them!

Happy New Year & may you achieve your 2016 quilty goals!

~Sharla

3 comments:

  1. If I were going to start a fabric design line, I would probably spend some time perusing Spoonflower for tips and information. Plus, it might be a way for you to get your ideas printed, initially. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I should laugh or cry, I have a 31 bag the exact same as yours, filled with finished tops! I have decided I am more of a "topper" than a "quilter". Oh well, I guess my legacy for my kids when I die will be they can choose which one they want, they will just have to finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about the UFO finish alongs.Mine are all over the place - I've avoided grouping them all together (perhaps I should get one of those bags too?) 😁

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.