Thursday, December 31, 2015

#2015BestQuiltFinishes

This past week there has been a new hashtag popping up on Instagram called #2015bestnine. It features the top 9 most liked posts on your IG feed in 2015. When I did mine, most of them were WIPs such as blocks from the Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along. But I wanted to showcase my top finished projects for 2015 so I decided to start my own hashtag - #2015bestquiltfinishes - and show off some of the quilts I completed this past year. I really didn't even think I had 9 finishes to showcase, especially since I haven't sewn a thing on my machine since the middle of October! But I was pleasantly surprised that I had a few more, Yay! So here is my favorite top nine quilt finishes for 2015....
#2015BestQuiltFinishes by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

FYI - These are listed in chronological order.

Stack 'n Whack in BQ by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#1. Stack 'n Whack in BQ
My camper quilt. When we bought our new 5th wheel camper it had the ugliest comforter on the bed. It had to go! I found this beautiful black and metallic gold fabric (Grandeur by Robert Kaufman) that was screaming to dress up my home-away-from-home. I ended up making stack 'n whack 4-patch blocks and using them in the BQ pattern by Maple Island Quilts. I made a matching 'headboard' quilt, pillow cases, and curtains to match. It really makes my camper bedroom look classy! I still have more fabric and some day I may make some throw pillows and a mini table runner for the dresser.


Chainlinks Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. This quilt is a Moda Bake Shop free pattern designed by Thistle Thicket Studio. http://www.modabakeshop.com/author/skrenzel. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#2. Chainlinks Quilt
This quilt represents my top quilting accomplishment in 2015 - I became a Moda Bake Shop Chef! I love how this quilt turned out (using Moda Grunge and Silver Bella Solids Layer Cakes) and the flexibility of creating a different look by rotating the center 4-patch, as I did in this prototype quilt called Layer Cake Lattice:
Layer Cake Lattice by Thislte Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I'm excited for the new opportunity I have to work with Moda Bake Shop in 2016! I can't wait to share all the details with you in the coming weeks!


Dance of the Water Lilies Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. A One Block Wonder Quilt. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#3. Dance of the Water Lilies Quilt
This was my first attempt at the infamous One Block Wonder Quilt. I loved this fabric and thought it turned out beautifully. Of course, as I was making this quilt, I saw the potential for beautiful OBW quilts in all sorts of fabrics and bought several. Maybe I'll put another OBW on my list of goals for 2016.


Curvy Log Cabin Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#4. Curvy Log Cabin Quilt
This quilt started out as a quilt guild challenge in 2014 but I didn't get it finished until May of this year. This was a scrappy quilt using my darker color scraps. I loved this quilt and ended up gifting it to my niece for her wedding. I even made a cute heart-shaped log cabin label for the back.


Welcome Quilt (the Ooops Quilt) by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#5. The Ooops Quilt
I affectionately named this quilt the Ooops Quilt because I had a brain fart while quilting it and ended up putting in the wrong size for the length. I didn't realize until I had already quilted a row and I didn't have time to rip it out. So, I ended up leaving a space in the center to adjust for my mistake and quilting the outline of the word 'welcome'. The quilt turned out fine, but I didn't like the quilted 'welcome' in the middle because it didn't show up. So, then I decided to try my hand at thread painting and I filled in the letters to make it stand out. I'm pretty proud of my recovery! This was a quilt top that I had made about 5 years ago and was in my UFO pile. I didn't get many UFOs completed this year, but this one is finally done and off the list.


Little Black Dress II Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#6. Little Black Dress II Quilt
When my mom and I got our new quilting machine in May, we needed some smaller quilt tops to practice on. I made this to coordinate with a Turning Twenty quilt I made for my bedroom last year using Little Black Dress I. It now covers the bedside table.


Pumpkin Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio featuring Lori Holt's pumpkin block. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#7. Pumpkin Quilt
This little quilt represents all of the fun I had as a featured blogger for Lori Holt's (Bee In My Bonnet) Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along and all the fun I had sewing each of the blocks. I didn't have orange in my fabric stash to make the pumpkin block so I had to collect them. I fell in love with the orange (and had to use more than a 2 1/2" square out of those FQs) so I made four extra pumpkin blocks and made a table topper. I've already snagged a fat quarter bundle of Lori's Modern Minis and I'm looking forward to Lori's new Bloom sew along starting in January! And yes, I still need to finish my Farm Girl Vintage quilt - I'm working on an awesome backing design that I'll be sharing in 2016!


Thistle Thicket Crossing by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#8. Thistle Thicket Crossing Quilt
This year I participated in the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers group. From that association, I was invited to design a quilt block for FabriQuilt. The free block pattern was shared in a blog hop at the end of August. I designed a couple of similar patterns because this pattern ended up using more background fabric than was supplied by FabriQuilt. So, I decided to make a big block quilt with it by enlarging the block pattern and I shared the pattern on my blog. This isn't the best photo, but I do love how it shows all the custom quilting I did on this quilt.


Water Turn Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
#9. Water Turn Quilt
As I mentioned before, I was a featured blogger on Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along this year. My block was the Water Turn block and I decided to make a quilt from her block and add a 4-patch in the center - Lori calls that a 'mash up' block. I used Sweetwater's Feed Company fabric because I thought it fit with the whole farm girl theme of the sew along and also fit my life as a farm girl. And I loved how this photo of the quilt turned out with the quilt draped on a grain auger with the grain bins in the background!

Well, there it is. My #2015BestQuiltFinishes. Are you on Instagram? I invite you to share your best quilt finishes on IG and use this hashtag. I would love to see lots of posts so everyone can enjoy your best finishes too!

Wishing you a very Happy, Health and Quilty New Year!

~Sharla

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to review your year. I have a lot of quilt finishes and just don't have the brain power to figure out how to pick the "top 9" for this year, but I hope this is a thing at the end of next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing, Nice content I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion Thanks to sharing thanks!mundocosturas

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.