Monday, January 25, 2016

Robots All In A Row

I've given my Singer featherweight a workout this week as she accompanied me to three different sewing days/retreats. Last Saturday, our quilt guild had a sew day where we worked on scrappy blocks that will eventually go into a charity quilt. On Monday, a group of quilty friends got together for food, fun and sewing on a friendship quilt for one of our 'members'. And finally, this weekend, my mom, aunts and sister-in-law got together for our own little three-day sewing retreat! Fun, but boy is my brain fried and my back end sore from the long sitting spells in front of my machine!

I'm excited, though, with the progress I made on a new quilt I'm designing for my grandson's second birthday in February. I'm calling it "Robots All In A Row" for obvious reasons! Lol!
Robots All In A Row Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Last week I posted the fabric and sketches of the blocks I planned to make here. I tried to replicate the robots featured in this fabric - which will be the backing for the quilt - by Makower UK called 'Little Monsters Robots' by The Henley Studio. As you can see, I still have stars to applique on my robots.
"Little Monster Robots" fabric by The Henley Studio on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I have one more block to make before I will set them in a field of chevrons. Here are the first three blocks:
"Robots All In A Row" Blue Robot by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Robots All In A Row" Green Robot by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
"Robots All In A Row" Red Robot by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I'm really happy with the way they turned out except for the green one - I used the wrong color of gray for his eyes and mouth and there is not enough contrast against the green. But since I didn't realize it until after the block was done, he's going to stay that way.

In between all of my sew days this past week, I made progress on one of my first quarter projects for the 2016 Finish-A-Long. I've completed all the blocks in my 'Have Yourself A Quilty Little Christmas' quilt and now I'm ready to make the patchwork border. Hoping to finish it up this next week, then I will have three first quarter projects ready to quilt!
Have Yourself A Quilty Little Christmas by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

All this sewing AND a blog post! I'm feeling accomplished! What sewing did you get accomplished this week? I'd love to hear about it!

~Sharla

3 comments:

  1. You had a super productive weekend! I think the robots are looking awesome. :) I got a bit of sewing done myself and I hope to have a finsihed flimsy to share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the robots look fantastic! I love the detail and colors you chose. my favourite block is the gingerbread man on the Christmas quilt -Super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun week. The robots are lovely, your grandson will love them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.