Sunday, July 26, 2015

New Block Blog Hop, Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along & More

I'm finally getting back to my sewing room after our short vacay to spoil the grandkids. I always have ideas bouncing around in my head - even on vacation - so now I have even more projects to add to my to-do list. But first, I wanted to finish up a project I started from the Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along. I made a 6" Baking Day block to use as a pocket for an apron but the other blocks didn't fit the baking theme for me. So, this week I played with designs for a hand mixer block for the second pocket and finally finished my apron!

I don't know why I procrastinated so long, because the apron was really easy to make. To make your own, you'll need:

18" x WOF for apron front
18" x WOF for apron lining
(2) 5" x 36" strips for apron strings
5" x 21" (or whatever length to fit your waist) for waistband

Embellish the front of your apron with pockets, trim etc. I put a couple of rows of rick rack along the bottom of mine and ball fringe along the waistband - totally a 50's inspired look I think. I used "Bee In My Bonnet" Lori Holt's instructions for the pockets. I placed the pockets 3 1/2" above the bottom edge and 5 1/2" in from the side edge. After you are finished embellishing your apron front, sew the front and apron lining together (right sides together) along the sides and bottom of the apron. Clip corners, turn and press the edges. Yay, no hemming! Gather the top of the apron using your favorite method. I stitched two rows of gathering stitches across the top, like this:

Set the apron aside. Next, fold the apron strings along the length with right sides together. Sew across one short end and down the length of the strip. Clip the two sewn corners and turn right side out. Press. Repeat for the other string. Place a small fold, approximately 1/2" in the unsewn end of both apron strings and stitch in place.

Set aside. Next, fold the waistband in half lengthwise wrong sides together and press. Then, fold 1/2" up (wrong sides together) along one of the long sides of the waistband and press. Refold the waistband with right sides together along the half fold. Pin an apron string in between the waistband and against the fold, like this:
Stitch the end using a 1/2" seam. Repeat for the other side.

Turn the waistband right side out. Measure the length of the finished waistband and gather the apron front to the same length. Pin the apron front (right sides together) to the side of the waistband that is not folded.

Sew the waistband to the apron using a 1/2" seam. Fold waistband over raw edges and hand-sew the folded edge of the waistband to the apron lining along the seam line.
Ta-Da! One apron perfect for any farm - or city- girl!

Isn't the Baking Day block so cute! I love how the bright pink waistband picks up the touches of pink in the pockets.


I love how my Hand Mixer block turned out. The electrical cord is green rick rack sewn down with pink embroidery floss.

Now, I have to confess. I'll probably never wear this apron, but it will look so cute hanging in my kitchen.

I also made this week's Farm Girl Vintage Sew Along blocks. Here is my Mama Hen block:

And my Milking Day block:

I know this post is long, but I wanted to share a couple of other things new this week. I wanted to share my latest junking find - a pink toy sewing machine! I was excited because I didn't have a pink one in my collection and I got it for a steal.
It now sits on a pink and green crocheted doily on top of my cube cubby that holds all my scraps.

Did you notice this new link in the sidebar?


I'm excited to share that I've been invited to design a block for Fabri-Quilt's upcoming New Block Blog Hop to be held the week of August 31st! I've been playing with ideas, but haven't gotten that 'brainstorm' yet. Wish me luck!

We'll be using Fabri-Quilt's Prairie Cloth Cotton Solids in the Watermelon Summer Color Palette of chartreuse, turquoise, coral, aqua, lapis blue, and white. Pretty colors! Help me out with inspiration...leave a comment on what these colors make you think of. Thanks in advance!

~Sharla

4 comments:

  1. The apron and its tiny blocks are so cute; I love the cord for the hand mixer! And I am so glad you are joining in the new block blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saving this post, recently discovered how fun aprons are to make! Plus, I enjoyed your tutorial you did a nice job. I am looking forward to checking out all of the sites on the new block blog hop! Congrats and have fun creating the block. Have a wonderful creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to bookmark your apron , my daughter would love this . I'm in the new block blog hop too , the last day . Lots of ideas buzzing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. They look very fashionable. it's a perfect fit in a farm.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.