Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Design Boards

Ugh? I can't believe it - no, really I can - but so disappointed at the moment. I was on my last set of blocks for the sample of my new cutting & sewing technique and I miss-cut the block! No way to salvage it & no extra fabric, so now I'm waiting on more fabric. In the meantime, I needed to store the parts I will be able to use once the new fabric arrives, so I decided to make one of Lori Holt's (A Bee In My Bonnet) design boards.

This quick & easy project uses a foam core board of your desired size, a piece of batting (I prefer white) large enough to cover one side of the foam core board, enough 2 1/2" strips of fabric to bind the edges of the board, spray glue & a hot glue gun/glue. The end result is a portable design board that will hold block pieces until you are ready to sew them.

My board is 15" x 20" which is big enough to store the parts to my 11" block, but I think a whole stack of different sizes is in my sewing room's future. These will be great to stack & store my quilting projects, since I seem to have several in progress at any one time.

There's no sense in reinventing the wheel, so click here to head on over to Lori's design board tutorial. Note: the only thing I did differently than Lori is I used spray glue to adhere my batting to my board. Have fun!

~Sharla

P.S. After that, I made Oatmeal Scotchies. I'm sure sugar will make it all better:)

1 comment:

  1. I like your thinking - I KNOW sugar will make it all better!! :) Especially if it is in the form of Oatmeal Scotchies - my very favorite cookie!!
    Have been enjoying your neat projects from Thimble Thicket Studio!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.