Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chenille Pumpkins

I love vintage chenille bedspreads! They just have a cozy feel and are so fun to recycle into other things.

I found this green chenille bedspread on my latest treasure hunt. Of course, I had to snatch it up since it was green :)

With the crisp fall feel in the air today, I decided I needed some fall decorations....and my green chenille bedspread was perfect to make a few pumpkins to tuck among my jadite green glass collection.

Pumpkins are really easy and quick to make. First, cut a circle from your fabric. I cut 13" and 10" circles for my pumpkins.

Next, run a gathering stitch around the circle, approximately 1/4" from the edge.
Pull your gathering threads up and stuff the inside of your pumpkin with fiber fill.

On the larger pumpkin, I sewed a shank button on the top and bottom of my pumpkin like you would sew a button on a tufted cushion, pulling the thread between the two buttons to create a squattier shape. (Is 'squattier' a word?) Then you are ready to decorate your pumpkins. I hot glued ribbon on wooden spools and glued them on the top button of the pumpkins for stems, then tied raffia. The top buttons hide where the fabric was gathered.

A cute - and quick - fall décor project! Wouldn't you like your own pumpkin patch of chenille pumpkins to enjoy this fall?

~Sharla

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.