Saturday, January 19, 2019

A Scrappy Happy Holidays Mystery Sew Along - Block 1

It's here! The first block has been sent out to my 131 subscribers for my first mystery sew along! I'm excited to kick off this new adventure and I'm thrilled to introduce the first block - the Holly Block.

The Holly Block is an easy sewing 12.5" x 12.5" block with two slight variations. As you can see in this block, the berries have a more round appearance. This is achieved by sewing a small square of background fabric on the diagonal in each of the corners of the berry square. It's hard to see in this block, but I'm making this variation with a scrappy background of assorted white-on-white prints.

Those small squares created extra bulk on this flannel block so I elected not to make the berries round. Gives it a more modern feel, I think. The two variations are included in the pattern. As I said, this variation is made with flannel and is actually one that I purchased fabric for rather than using scraps. That directional background may be a challenge! I purchased 2 1/2 yards of the background and that should be enough to do the quilt plus the Bonus Borders.

I think the pattern is pretty self-explanatory so I don't have any additional tips or tricks with this block - except to be sure to square up your leaf blocks before sewing it all together. However, I'd love to hear feedback from those who are participating on what you think of the pattern directions and illustrations.

Thanks everyone who registered and have a scrappy happy day!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2019/01/a-scrappy-happy-holidays-mystery-sew_19.html


12 comments:

  1. I don't see where to download the pattern. If I am supposed to figure it out from what you have shown above, I will have to bow out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the link was emailed to those who subscribed to the sew along. A link will not be posted on my blog. Did you register?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's the post! I lost it for a minute or five. I do like this block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received the post but no link to the directions; am certain that I registered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arline, you are a no-reply blogger so I have no way of contacting you. Can you email me? My email is listed on my contact page.

      Delete
  5. So beautiful block.Can´t wait to cut and sew it.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duh ... I have the link and did register. Let's see what excuse I can come up with ... Age? 81 but I do have a great memory. Honest. Anyway, I'm on the list and have the pattern. Thank you so much. Looking forward to the next block!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. je pensais etre inscrite pour le chalenge,
    est il trop tard??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huguette, you show up as a no-reply blogger so I can not contact you. Can you send me an email? My email is listed under the contact page on my blog. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Huguette, you show up as a no-reply blogger so I can not contact you. Can you send me an email? My email is listed under the contact page on my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.