Monday, September 25, 2017

FAL Q3: Molecules of Moda Quilt + Update

My second finish for the 3rd Quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is the big project I worked on this quarter - my Molecules of Moda: Bella Solids quilt. I made this quilt for the Moda Bella Challenge. I shared it a week or so ago here when I finished it. 
Molecules of Moda: Bella Solids Quilt Designed & Made By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I spent six weeks working on this and have many hours in it. I wish I would get in the habit of tracking my hours, but I never think about it. I did, however, track my machine quilting time, which was just over 50 hours.
Molecules of Moda: Bella Solids Quilt Designed & Made By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I put a lot of thought into this quilt, some of which I shared in my previous post, but not everything made it into the final quilt. Originally, I had planned on block printing cotton molecules onto some of the fabrics from a stamp I carved. But I felt like the stamped blocks in the background would take away from the colored atoms and molecules sewn in the quilt and decided to leave them out once I started sewing the HST background blocks.
Molecules Block Printing By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

****And Now For An Update****
I'm so thrilled to share that my Molecules of Moda quilt made it as a finalist in the Moda Bella Challenge! I am so over-the-moon excited! This is the first time I've entered a quilt in any kind of competition - except for the local county fair. And it's really my first time designing a modern quilt - except for a mini. Originally, Moda was going to award prizes to the top three quilts, but in the notification I received today, they said they were going to award some honorable mentions also and plan to have a permanent exhibit! There were a total of 84 quilts entered in the challenge and I hope that Moda will showcase all the entries in a series of posts on their blog sometime. I just think it is so interesting to see how everyone approached this challenge.

I'm sure this won't be the last time that I blog about this quilt - I'm just warning y'all! I'm linking this post up to the FAL Q3 Linky (go check out all the finished projects there). Here is my 3rd quarter goals list, if ya want to see what I didn't get done! See y'all soon!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/09/fal-q3-molecules-of-moda-quilt-update.html

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can see why it's a finalist. So cool. I love seeing quilts like this and showing them to my young boys -- they aren't impressed with most quilts, but they will be with this one! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is an epic amount of work and the quilting is amazing. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.