Thursday, April 20, 2017

My First Spoonflower Entry

I'm back, as promised, to share my Spoonflower entry in the Birds and Blooms contest that opened today. My entry, Prairie Gardens, is the next step in my textile design learning process. The learning curve has been huge from my Ditsy Daisy print I shared a couple of days ago to this. And although I wished I had more time to tweak this design, I'm pretty happy with it for a beginner.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Prairie Gardens, textile design, surface pattern design, fabric design, spoonflower

There are 413 entries - WOW! - in the Spoonflower contest which runs until Tuesday, April 25, 2017. Here's a link to the Spoonflower Birds and Blooms contest. If you honestly like my design, please vote. I don't want to sway the feedback I get, though, with sympathy votes:) I was surprised to get an email notice yesterday that someone actually favorited my design on Spoonflower. That's exciting!

Thistle Thicket Studio, Prairie Gardens Fabric, surface pattern design, textile design, fabric design, spoonflower
This is the single repeat of the design. On Spoonflower, it is viewed in a fat quarter size repeat. I like the design in a single repeat, but in the larger view, I can see some things I will change to make it more spatially pleasing. I'll continue to play with it.

Thistle Thicket Studio, Prairie Gardens, textile design, fabric design, surface pattern design, spoonflower
I also played with a few companion print ideas, pulling out different elements from the focal print. I made this print before I made the focal that I entered in the contest. After looking at this, I decided to add pink to the design.

Next I want to try to create a plaid companion print because I love plaids...and stripes...and dots...in a collection. I also have another colorway I'd like to create. And I have a few more designs I'd like to make to create a whole collection.

So I'd love feedback from quilters and textile designers! What do you think of this colorway? Are there changes you would make to the layouts? Any advice on how to improve the repeat? Would this grab your attention if you saw it on a shelf in a quilt shop? Would you be compelled to buy it? What kind of companion prints do you like to see in a collection?

~Sharla


http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/04/my-first-spoonflower-entry.html

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I'm really enjoying reading about this process and new journey you are taking. I will have to pop over later and look at the entries in the challenge. Do you have a project in mind for the prints you are designing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun and congratulations on all the growth! I personally love tone on tone prints to accompany a focal print and help pull out the colors that a person might favor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharla this is lovely . I'm off to vote and it's definitely not a sympathy vote !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.