Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Primitive Attempt At Fabric Design

I have wanted to learn how to design my own fabric for like FoReVeR !!! But all the techy stuff was just so intimidating that I just kept putting it off. A couple of weeks ago I threw caution to the wind and jumped in with both feet. Well, more like dipped my big toe in with a simple little drawing of flowers that I uploaded to the Photoshop Elements software I have on my computer. And I played around until I figured out how to create a repeat from my drawing. When I was happy with the way it looked I uploaded my jpeg file to Spoonflower and ordered a fat quarter of my first primitive attempt and here it is......Ditsy Daisies! I'm so excited with how it turned out!
Thistle Thicket Studio, fabric design, textile design, surface pattern design, Spoonflower

Spoonflower is an online digital printing company that prints fabrics, wallpaper and wrapping paper from designs that the customer uploads to their site. They have a wide range of fabrics in which to choose, from basic quilter's cotton to canvas to knits to satin to minky - a total of 21 different fabrics. Here's a close up of Ditsy Daisies printed on Kona Cotton. I was thrilled with the color accuracy and saturation, and the fact that even that light green color in the leaves was picked up and printed.

I think I'm hooked. For the last week, I have been trying to learn more about using Photoshop to design in, uploading simple line drawings, then coloring, editing, combining drawings in layers, creating repeats using offsets, and testing my repeats. I've designed a couple of more fabrics, more complex than this one, and I even entered one in Spoonflower's weekly design contest. I'll post more about that on Thursday when the contest opens for public voting. I'm hoping that I receive feedback from people that will help me move forward.

I haven't been getting any sewing done but I've been having a blast designing. I lose all track of time - I sat down last evening to finish my entry in the contest and it was 3 a.m. before I realized it! Yikes!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/04/a-primitive-attempt-at-fabric-design.html


5 comments:

  1. Oh fun! Your fabric turned out lovely. Designing is so much fun. Maybe someday I will follow your steps and actually take it from sketching to fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun indeed! I hope you get good feedback and continue to have fun as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you! I know how you feel. I have wanted to design my own fabric for forever too. One step at a time though. I have made my first paper piecing template ever this spring so that kept me busy. Your flowers turned out lovely! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really does look good fun and I love this little flower. The printing is very accurate to your customers concept

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Your fabric design is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.