Thursday, February 27, 2020

Road Trippin' Finds

This past week, my mom and I hit the road to travel to Texas for my grandsons' birthday party. Of course, any road trip includes a few quilt shops and antique stores, but the bonus this year was attending QuiltCon in Austin one day. Today, I'm sharing a few of my finds from our trip - from sewing notions to vintage Christmas decorations to china. 

Necchi Toy Sewing Machine and Green Handle Iron on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
My favorite finds are the Necchi toy sewing machine (#21 in my collection) and matching green handled iron. Of course, I just love the vintage green color and they fit perfectly in this display in my sewing studio.....

Vintage Toy Sewing Machines & Notions in Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Estate Sale Finds by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
And then, I picked up a couple of new sewing notions at an estate sale - an Oliso steam iron and an 12" x 18" Olfa cutting mat. The mat is brand new and was only $2! The iron also looks unused and was a steal for $20.

Mismatched Vintage China on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I've been in this vintage tea cup kick lately and have been picking up cups and saucers when I find cheap ones. This trip I picked up a few mismatched plates and containers for a DIY project that's on my to-do list - 3 tiered serving trays. I plan to use dinner plates on the bottom, salad or saucer plates in the middle, and a container such as a sugar bowl or gravy boat at the top. I picked up all these pieces for less than $2 each (most were 75 cents!). I was looking for very inexpensive pieces because I'm sure I will have some breakage when I try to drill holes in the centers for the tiered hardware. Stay tuned for more on this later.

Vintage Christmas Decorations on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I also picked up a few vintage Christmas decorations to add to my collection. I just love that the label is still intact on the green handled Santa cookie cutter.

I also added a couple of vintage aprons to my growing collection. I'm working on a program for our quilt guild's spring tea in April on the history of aprons, so I'll wait to show photos until later. 

Texas Tea Room Visited By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Texas Tea Room Visited By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Of course, mom and I love to find unusual places to eat while road trippin', and this time we came across this cute tea room in Crowley, Texas. Lunch was wonderful and was full of beautiful pink flowered china and doilies. 

Unique BBQ Joint Visited By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
And no trip to Texas is complete without some BBQ - even if that BBQ was in Oklahoma on the way Texas. It was rustic and filled with native American relics - and this quirky salad bar made out of an old car, vintage window and longhorns.

I'll share more about QuiltCon in another post later.

~Sharla

Post settings  Labels  Schedule  Permalink  http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2020/02/road-trippin-finds.html


2 comments:

  1. Mmm, didn't you do well with your purchases. Such a lovely looking tea room too, I'm sure they served delicious food and beverages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about the Singer in your picture above. I had one like it but it was green. Unfortunately, it was stolen. Can you tell me about the machine? I had always thought it was my mother's, whom I lost when I was only 3, but my brother thought it was a toy. I used to try to sew with it but it seemed like it would only sew a chain stitch. I would be interested in what your knowledge about it. Thanks. littlee37@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.