Friday, February 14, 2020

Moda Blockheads 3 - I'm In!

Moda Blockheads 3 January blocks by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
After watching on the sidelines for Moda Blockheads 1 & 2 because of time commitments, I decided this year was the year. I'm so excited for this challenge!

"A Little Sweetness" Fabric by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I chose to use a fat quarter bundle of Tasha Noel's 'A Little Sweetness' fabric for Riley Blake that I won last year in an Instagram giveaway (I know, how lucky can I be!). 

Moda Blockheads 3 Block 1 by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I'm making 6" blocks and hope the pieces won't get any smaller than they were in this first block!

I decided to use Mama's Linoleum layout by Lella Boutique here, although I'm going to make it larger to include all the blocks. The photo collage above shows what four 6" blocks sewn together will look like in this layout. I'm going to try to make two blocks with white backgrounds and two blocks with colored backgrounds in each set of four to give it that checkerboard effect.

Moda Blockheads Block 2 by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Moda Blockheads Block 3 by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Here are my week 2 and 3 blocks.

Moda Blockheads Block 4 Alternate by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
And for week 4, I elected to make one of the alternate blocks that was shared instead of the applique. I'm going to wait to do the applique blocks until I see them all and then may make a separate project with just the applique. 

Moda Blockheads Block 5 by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
This week's block was a letter 'Love' block. I didn't really think it fit with the other blocks so I elected to make a 12" block in reds and pinks and will make this into a Valentine's mini quilt to hang on my vintage door display for the holiday. I think I'll add some hearts on the sides and bottom. My project for this afternoon.

Starched Fabric Drying on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Several of the Moda designers that are hosting this sew along have suggested to starch the fabrics before cutting and it will help with making accurately pieced blocks. I've never starched before but decided to try. I used a pump bottle of Faultless Original spray starch (well more like 3 bottles) and literally soaked each fat quarter then hung them to dry on my vintage drying rack. After they dried, I steam pressed them.

Fabric Bleed After Starching on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Fabric Bleed After Starching on Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I had a couple of fabrics that bled with the starching process.:( I probably should have stopped right there and washed all the fat quarters, but I didn't. When I wash the quilt, I'll just throw in lots of color catchers and hope that works. Hopefully, I won't be sorry for this decision later! What would you have done?

I'm loving seeing all the blocks in the Facebook group here. I am waiting a few days after the block pattern is posted on Wednesdays to see what clever ideas everyone else has for their blocks before making mine. Is that cheating?

Believe it or not, I'm all caught up for the moment for MBH3! Although I want to make a couple more of the alternate blocks I've seen. Are you a Moda Blockhead? What layout are you using? Can't wait to see your blocks!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2020/02/moda-blockheads-3-im-in.html

1 comment:

  1. Your blocks are beautiful and your piecing very precise, especially for such small blocks. I don’t think the LOVE block fits either, good choice.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.