Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Cross Creek: MBS Choose Your Own Adventure QAL


I'm excited that today is my turn as camp counselor on the Moda Bake Shop blog for the Choose Your Own Adventure QAL. We're taking a hike to Cross Creek! I hear the creek is full of trout so maybe we'll have to do a little fishing too!


Cross Creek Block For Moda Bake Shop By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Cross Creek is a plus block or 9-patch block and is the first row around the center medallion. I share instructions for two versions of the block here, including supplies, cutting and assembly instructions. This block is one of two options for this round. To see the other option, Four Points (a four patch block), click here

Cross Creek Cutting Chart By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I was so excited to start sewing my blocks that I forgot to take photos of my fabric that I used for this round. But here is the cutting chart showing the fabrics.


Sew Tip: Sewing Strip Sets To Speed Up Sewing Time By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
TIP #1: These are simple 9 patch blocks. To speed up the sewing process, instead of cutting all of those 1 1/2" squares, I cut my layer cake squares and background fabric into 1 1/2" strips. Then I sewed the strips into strip sets as shown. Then I cut the strip sets into 1 1/2" segments. 


Sewing Tip: Measure Block Set To Check For Seam Accuracy ByThistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
TIP #2: This block is a good block to check the accuracy of your 1/4" seam allowance. When you have sewn 3 blocks together, it should measure 3 1/2". If your strip set measures less than 3 1/2", your seam allowance is too large and you need to move your needle a position to the right. If your strip set measures more than 3 1/2", your seam allowance is too small and you need to move your needle position to the left. 


Sewing Tip: Nest Seams For Accurate Points/Corners By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
TIP #3: Pay attention to the direction you press your seam allowances. I intentionally pressed my seam allowances so that on 2 opposing sides of the block the seam allowances were pressed to the center and the other 2 opposing sides of the block the seam allowances were pressed to the background. This allows you to rotate your blocks so that you can "nest your seams" (butting a side with seams pressed inward with a side with the seams pressed outward) when you are sewing your blocks together. Nesting your seams helps to make the corners of your fabric squares meet precisely.


Moda Bake Shop Choose Your Own Adventure QAL By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
And here is my center medallion square with the first round attached.

So far, so good! It's not too late to join me at Camp Oda May. Here's the link for all the posts for the Choose Your Own Adventure QAL. Can't wait to share the next round next week! See ya then!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2018/06/mbs-choose-your-own-adventure-qal-cross.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.