Friday, January 5, 2018

New Year, Old Projects

With the new year, I'm hoping comes new motivation and inspiration. I'm hoping to bring my mojo/sewjo back with a little sewing each day. And I'm hoping to do it with some old projects that have been languishing for far too long. First project up is my row quilt that was last year's quilt guild challenge.

Row by Row Quilt Guild Challenge Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
It's not that old of a project, in fact we just drew the last row - stars - in November. But, I've had pieces cut out for the hearts and railroad crossing rows that are getting scattered around. So yesterday, I gathered them all up (amazingly, all the pieces were accounted for) and I started sewing them together.

Row by Row Quilt Guild Challenge Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I'm several rows behind on this project. Everything was going hunky-dory until I fell in July and broke my elbow and hands. Then I got waaaay behind, so I have all six of the last rows to finish. Sure, I worked on it some. Right before each guild meeting, I'd try to make a couple of blocks for show and tell. But then it would get put aside. So here is an inventory of where I'm at: 
  • Rows 1 - 6 complete: 9-patch variation, pinwheels, bear paws, flying geese, bow ties and baskets.
  • Row 7: Snail's trail - two 8" blocks made, five to make.
  • Rows 8 & 9: Card trick and goose tracks: nothing started, need to decide size of block and make all blocks.
  • Row 10: Hearts - twenty 2" hearts are complete, remaining 10 are partially made.
  • Row 11: Railroad Crossing - six 6" blocks are complete, the other six are partially made.
  • Row 12: Stars - nothing started, need to decide type and size of block and make all blocks.

Row by Row Quilt Guild Challenge Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I'm making each row 60" wide, so I've been making a variety of sizes of blocks hoping that the smaller 2" and 3" blocks will offset the bigger 6" & 8" blocks and the quilt won't become too long. I'm adding a 1" sashing between each row. If I have enough fabric left from my fat quarter bundle of Moda Etchings, I think I'll make a piano key border. I blogged about this project here, here, here and here, so if you want to learn more about it, go check it out.

Row by Row Quilt Guild Challenge Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
So how are you starting out your new sewing year? With old projects or new projects? How do you find your sewing mojo when it's been MIA?

Wishing you all a Sew Happy New Year!

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2018/01/new-year-old-projects.html

3 comments:

  1. What stunning fabric you have chosen! Do you know the name? That blue is my favorite color -- Good luck with your finish; this will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing how it comes together for you. A little time in my sewing space every day can help me when I've been a rut of being out of it for too long and I suspect you'll make quick progress now that you have a focus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've picked up right where you left off. I've got a few WIPs that I know I've got all the parts to get them done but seem to gravitate to starting new instead. There's just not enough time in the day so I guess all we can do is make the most of it and sew sew sew!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.