Thursday, July 13, 2017

TBT To WIP

I started to photograph this Spinning Stars Christmas quilt for my 'Throw Back Thursday' quilt series and the more I looked at it the more I had the urge to throw this quilt back on the 'Works In Progress' list and re-quilt it.

Spinning Stars Christmas Quilt By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
This is another one of the first quilts I made back in the early-to-mid 1990s and another one I tried to quilt on my DSM. As you can see, the quilting is quite sparse and, quite frankly, I'm afraid that if it was washed, the batting would wad up and ruin the quilt. (I'm from the "I never wash my quilts when completed" camp because then they look used and I'm not a real fan of the crinkly look on quilts that I plan to display. This quilt hangs over a vintage door in my basement family room during the holidays - ok, maybe longer.)

Leaders Sewn On A Previously Bound Quilt To Load On A Long Arm By Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
So last week, I dug out some really ugly (I mean hideous - I apologize to the designer) monkey fabric (that I purchased once in desperation for a quilt backing then never could make myself use it) and cut it up to make leaders to sew to the binding of this quilt to enable me to attach it to the long arm. I finished the edges to keep the leaders from fraying so that I can re-use them in the future. Since I'm staying with my mom while she's recuperating from a fall and shoulder fracture (just when we thought she was getting along so good after her car accident last summer), re-quilting this Spinning Stars Christmas quilt is the perfect project to work on since our long arm is in her basement.

Spinning Stars Christmas Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
After making a few pattern adjustments and modifications, I've selected the patterns I'm going to use and have quilted the first block, sashings and cornerstones to see what it looks like. I selected a couple of holly and berry patterns following the theme of the fabric and then a couple of feather triangle patterns for the star points. I haven't quilted the background yet, but am planning on using a background fill of pearls with a beige thread. Although you can see the original line of quilting, I don't think you'll notice it so much once the background is quilted. This project may take me awhile as I'm quilting a little at a time when I can sneak a few minutes in.


What WIPs are you working on?

~Sharla

http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/07/tbt-to-wip.html

2 comments:

  1. I really feel for you mom. I broke my shoulder in April and it was a very painful injury. I caught my foot in my sewing machine cord and hit my desk on the way down. I love the Christmas quilt. I even love the sad little monkey! Make sure your mom does her therapy like they tell her. It's painful but worth it. (By the way, don't know how old your mother is, but I'm ONLY-haha-62.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one design that is impressive and I hope that it will give an attractive look for my outdoor decoration.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.