Monday, November 16, 2015

Grandma's French Pastry

Recently, I spent the day with my quilty friends. We get together to sew, share our latest projects, laugh, and eat. We have a carry-in luncheon and the food is always delish. At our last sew day, I made a homemade peach pie, using my Grandma's pie crust recipe. I even decorated the top with buttons made from pie dough. Sew cute!
Pie With Button Details by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

My Grandma was an awesome cook. Her homemade pies were to die for. And her homemade egg noodles. And her fried chicken. And her dill pickles. Mmmmm, I'm making myself hungry! I love this picture of my grandma in her younger days cooking at this old stove. It's how I remember her, always in the kitchen cooking.

Today, I'm sharing my Grandma's French Pastry recipe just in time for your holiday baking. I hope you enjoy it as much as I always do.

---------
Grandma's French Pastry
 
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup lard ( or 1 1/4 cups shortening)
1 egg
4-5 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vinegar
 
Stir flour and salt together. Cut in lard/shortening. Mix egg, water and vinegar together and add to dry mixture. Knead. Let stand for 10 minutes. Roll out. Makes 2 double crust pies.
--------- 

Just an FYI: I think today's pie pans are larger than my grandmother used, so I can never get two double crusted pies from this recipe.

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I enjoyed the photo. Wish I had one of my grandma. I wanted to ask what kind of shortening do you normally use or recommend?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.