Monday, November 30, 2015

Christmas Isn't Christmas Without Cherry Chocolates!

I'm back! Did ya miss me? I'm finally home after a five week vacation with the hubby to visit our kids and spoil the grandkids. I managed to squeeze in a fast visit to International Quilt Festival and the new Magnolia Silos (new home for Fixer Upper's Chip and Joanna Gaines store front); stopped at a few quilt shops, antique stores and flea markets; took in the sights at Branson, and even learned how to blow glass! Can't wait to share with you some of the goodies I came home with over the next few weeks, but today was filled with laundry, unpacking, and making food for a ladies luncheon I'm helping with tomorrow.

Tomorrow is National Giving Day and with the Christmas season upon us, the theme for this luncheon is gifts and giving. One of the things I made is homemade chocolate covered cherries nestled in little gift boxes that will be placed at each table setting.

For our family, it's not Christmas until the cherry chocolates are made. I'm not sure how this tradition started in our family, but I remember my mom making cherry chocolates every year. Somewhere along the line, I took over the cherry chocolate making and now my mom makes all kinds of brittle - peanut, cashew, almond. Mmmmm!

So today, I thought I'd share my mom's recipe for cherry chocolates. Maybe it will become one of your Christmas traditions too.

Chocolate Covered Cherries

Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 - 2 lb. bag powdered sugar
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 large jar maraschino cherries
  • 1 - 14 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cake paraffin wax
Combine melted butter, sugar and condensed milk in a large bowl. Stir and knead fondant mixture until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator 1-2 hours.

Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Drain cherries and pat dry with paper towels.

Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Pinch a 1/2" - 1" ball of fondant, flatten and gently wrap around cherry.

Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Place on waxed paper covered cookie sheet. Freeze fondant covered cherries until solid.

Melt chocolate chips and wax in a double boiler. Poke a toothpick into a fondant covered cherry and dip in chocolate to cover. Place in miniature paper cupcake liners. Store in air tight container.

Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!

~Sharla




2 comments:

  1. YUM - I just stumbled on your blog. Thank you for the recipe! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I love chocolate covered cherries. The day after Thanksgiving I bought myself two boxes. It's funny that it's one of the things I miss about my dad this time of year. He and I were the only two that really liked them in our family. He would always, without fail, for as long as I can remember give me two boxes for Christmas. So now, I buy them and think of him and smile every pound I gain :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.