Friday, September 4, 2015

Farm Girl Vintage - Week 19

Just a short post to share my Farm Girl Vintage blocks this week. This week included the Simple Star block which features author Lori Holt's method of making flying geese. I've seen the method before but have never used it until this sew along, but it is sure a fun and easy technique for those dreaded flying geese. It sure made this block go quickly.
A block from the book "Farm Girl Vintage" by Lori Holt

The second block this week, the Spring Star block, was also a quick make.
A block from the book "Farm Girl Vintage" by Lori Holt

In other quilty news (well not really news, but new for me). I'm sew excited! I signed up for my first block swap on Instagram a few weeks ago. It's a Log Cabin Block Swap patterned after one that the designers at Moda did this summer. I'll be sharing more details about it later, but thought I'd share the fabric that I've been playing with - a charm pack of Hello Darling and a jelly roll of Miss Kate (one of the rules is that you can only use Bonnie & Camille fabric). This should be fun!

I'm also excited about this little flower. I have tried for several years to start a flowering vine in a corner of my yard to no avail - gardening isn't really my thing (read my bio!). This year with all the rain, I finally have something that is green and growing (that's not a weed) and yesterday the first flower appeared! I can't even remember what I planted, I think a clematis. Isn't it pretty?!

Give me a shout out below if you're participating in the B&C Log Cabin Swap too. Or if you know what this flowering vine is.

~Sharla


4 comments:

  1. Love those blocks Sharla! I've been trying to finish up my son's chevron quilt and have gotten behind on my FGV. I plan to finish his quilt soon and get back to FGV full speed ahead, as I'm going to use the FGV sampler for our bedroom quilt. I haven't signed up for a swap yet. I just really get overwhelmed with deadlines, so I'm a bit hesitant; plus I'm not sure I'm that good yet. Oh, I double-checked with my hubby and we don't think your lovely flower is a clematis, not sure what it is though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that's a clematis. Nice. If we weren't in the middle of this terrible drought, I'd be tempted to plant one, but right now we try not to even water if we can avoid it. So no new plants. (insert sad face here). Have fun with the swap. I love anything log cabin. Oh, and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherryl. I'm sure all the rain we've received this summer is why I got something to grow this year. BTW, did you know you are a no-reply blogger?

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.