Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Turn on the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop!

Welcome quilty friends! I'm so glad you stopped by to visit me for the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop! If you're not familiar with the blog hop you can read more about it in this post here.

This group of quilt bloggers have been divided into hives. I'm in the Quantum Quilters hive and there are three of my fellow hive members who are on the blog hop this week too, so be sure to read all the way through for their links and the links for our hive hosts who are giving away great prizes throughout this blog hop!

Since it's my turn on the blog hop, let's start with a little bit about me....... I learned to sew in 4-H and made some of my clothes as a teen, I even made the bridesmaid dresses for my wedding! I tried to embroider and hand quilt a baby quilt before my first child was born that became my first UFO (it disappeared when we moved to the farm and have never found it). My second attempt at quilting was in the mid-1990's. I made a handful of quilts for myself and family, then got busy with life (two kids, a husband, a farm, a job as county economic development director, grant writer, 4-H leader.....) and quilting fell by the wayside. I had accumulated a few UFOs by that time. About 10 years ago, I decided to finish up one of those UFOs to give to my daughter in her new apartment. That sparked a new quilting fever and I finished nine UFOs that year (and started some new ones!). I've been inflicted with this quilting virus ever since - so much so that I was even a partner in a quilt shop for five years. And my UFOs continue to grow! Check out my quilting New Year's resolution about UFOs here.

My hubby and I have lived on the family farm - 4th generation to do so - for the last 20+ years. Our house was originally a one-room basement house that eventually had a ground floor added to it in the 50's. When our two kids were still at home it seemed small and crowded, but now it's just right. Not a lot of area to clean which leaves more time for quilting, crafting and junking! I call it junking, not antiquing, because I don't hunt for fine antiques - my motto is "We lust for rust!" You can check out some of my junking craftiness here.

I started my blog as another creative outlet for my quilting and junking. I tried to come up with an original name that was tied to my country farm way of life. This is a Russian Thistle - or tumbleweed as most call it. They are thick around here in western Kansas. Hence the name - Thistle Thicket Studio - and why there is a tumbleweed in the center of my logo.

I don't really have a quilting style - I love everything from traditional to modern. I make whatever looks interesting or challenging to me, or it may just speak to me through colors. I love puzzles - word puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, etc. - and to me, piecing fabrics together is like putting a puzzle together. To give you an idea of my wide range of quilting tastes, here are a few of my favorite quilts....

This is "Chainlinks" and is a pattern I designed for the Moda Bake Shop. It is my first MBS pattern, but I hope to do more in the future. It features, what I call, a sew-cut-sew technique, similar to the "Disappearing Nine Patch" or the "Disappearing Hourglass". Again, these patterns are like puzzles to me. I love trying to figure out new ways of cutting blocks up and putting them back together. For my "Chainlinks" pattern, click here.

"Monkey See, Monkey Do" is the quilt I designed and made for my first grandchild. It features pictures of each of his family on the tummies of the monkeys. There are also elements on the quilt that are 3-D - floppy legs, hanging jungle vines, and fern leaves.

This quilt, "Whooo Loves Keldon", was made for my second grandson and features family photos again on the tummies of owls. This is an Amy Bradley Designs pattern.


One of my most detailed quilts to date is the "Farmer's Wife" quilt by Laurie Hird - 111 different six inch blocks. I taught this as a class by email to 36 quilters over a 13-month period. Having other people dependent on me each week is probably the only way I finished this quilt top. I still haven't quilted it because I want to take the time to custom quilt each individual block.


My Farmer's Wife quilt top on the combine. Later this week I will be running this big machine through the fields harvesting wheat.

And my Farmer's Wife quilt top draped on the grain bin. Hopefully, with a bountiful harvest, the bins will soon be full.

For this 2015 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop, we're suppose to share a couple of tips. My blogging tip is whenever you have a question on how to do something techy with your blog or you have a blog etiquette question, just Google it. If you are asking, other people are asking too, and that means someone else is blogging about it. I have figured out so many techy things to do with my blog by Googling it - and by becoming a member of the 2015 New Quilt Bloggers group! One thing I learned from this group is how to put those cute little heart social media buttons at the top of my sidebar. You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Bloglovin' by just clicking on those buttons.

My sewing tip is on how to match points at seams. With right sides together, poke a pin through the tip of the point of the first block and then through the tip of the point of the second block that you are sewing together.
With your two blocks together in a horizontal position and the pin stuck through the points at a perpendicular (vertical) position, pin additional pins on each side of your perpendicular pin. This holds the points together without slipping when the perpendicular pin is removed and allows you to carefully sew over the pins when sewing the seam.

Be sure and visit the rest of my fellow quilt bloggers that are in the Quantum Quilters hive:
Then buzz on over to each of our hive hosts for links to the other quilt bloggers in the blog hop this week and to find out how to enter for all the blog hop prizes!
Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs
Stephanie @Late Night Quilter
Thanks for stopping by to visit me on the blog hop! Hope you'll come back and visit often! One last tidbit about me.....I was born in La Grange, Texas. Do you know what La Grange is famous for? (Did you know or did you have to Google it?) And, no, that's not the reason why I was born there, LOL! So where were you born and what is it famous for?
~Sharla

39 comments:

  1. Hi Sharla, Loved reading your blog and I love your farmer's wife quilt, looks great in its natural setting. Strangely when we moved I lost two children's dressing up bear outfits I had made. There must be a big black hole somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to find out more about you and your quilts Sharla! Thank you for the quilting tip too - it obviously works very well by the look of all those tiny pieces coming together so accurately in you Farmer's wife quilt top. I shall have to get more patient with the blog tech side of things and go exploring on google! My home town was the home town of John Arlott (famous for his radio commentaries on cricket) and Jane Austen lived with her family in villages in this area of Hampshire and came to dances at the Assembly Rooms here in Basingstoke!
    Looking forward to reading more of your posts, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fellow farm girl! I like how you work with different styles of patterns and fabrics, great work!

    Where I was born is famous for a pretty bad bomb in the Troubles in Northern Ireland (Enniskillen - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day_bombing). My home town is famous (ish) for being the home town of Patrick McCabe, an author, and Barry McGuigan, a boxer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI from southern OK- FLOOD country! I know you've had some water too. What program do you use to get the watermark on your pictures? Do you have to take each pic through Adobe photo elements or something to get the watermark on there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! We haven't had near the rain you guys have. The photos of Turner Falls area is incredible. I do use Adobe Photoshop Elements for my watermark. Took me awhile to figure it out, but finally did it.

      Delete
  5. Oh the farm life, I am a retired farmer. I miss my farming life. Nice intro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ! Nice, really enjoyed your post and I especially like the Golden Farmer's Wife quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ! Nice, really enjoyed your post and I especially like the Golden Farmer's Wife quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ! Nice, really enjoyed your post and I especially like the Golden Farmer's Wife quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ! Nice, really enjoyed your post and I especially like the Golden Farmer's Wife quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ! Nice, really enjoyed your post and I especially like the Golden Farmer's Wife quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live in the perfect scenic backdrop :) My hat off you to you, I have never been brave enough to tackle the Farmer's Wife Quilt. I can only imagine how long it took. I'm saying hello from Buckhannon, WV. After consulting google for it's oppion...we are happily known for our annual Strawberry Festival (everything basically shuts down for a week of merriment) and sadly for the 2006 Sago Mine collapse that made national news for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that you have a very bountiful harvest this week! I loved getting a peak at some of your favorite quilts, and photographing your Farmer's Wife quilt on the farm is a brilliant idea! I have *no* idea what the town I was born in is famous for. I was born in Parkersburg, WV, and lived there until I was 4 and I have moved about 30 times in my life. I have finally lived more years than the number of times I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, I found you via the new blogger blog hop! I LOVE the chainlink pattern! I have a new kona solid stack--my first time buying solids in a bundle, woohoo!--and am thinking I might put them to work in your pattern. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share your quilt here when you get it made! Would love to see how other people interpret it.

      Delete
  14. Hello and nice to meet you! It was lovely to see the variety of quilts you've made, the Farmer's Wife certainly was a labour of love. I'm from Nottingham, England which is famous for lace and Robin Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to have to look for your MBS quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea, there's a link to my Moda Bake Shop pattern, Chainlinks, in the blog under the picture. Hope you enjoy it and if you make it, you'll have to come back and share a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really enjoyed reading your post and signed up to follow you by email! Absolutely love your point tip, will be giving it a try here in just a short time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Chainlink quilt is gorgeous! The colours are great, and I love that you photographed it on a chainlink fence, very cool backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the great advise and keep up the good work. L

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I was surprised when I saw the "Chainlink" quilt at the top of this post. I've always liked this pattern and now I've "met" the pattern designer! One day I may even get around to making it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get around to making Chainlinks someday. I enjoyed making it. Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  21. Hi Sharla, I am a puzzle person too and that's why I like patchwork so much, because it's like working on a puzzle. The Chainlink pattern is amazing, I will have to work on one :) Great tips, thanks for sharing! I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil which is famous for a lot of things (good and bad) from beautiful beaches to violence, to Carnival, to great, fun, happy people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like puzzles, you'll like making the Chainlinks quilt!

      Delete
  22. Hi Sharla! I love your eclectic quilting style. It's nice when people don't feel the need to box themselves in with various labels.

    I had a good laugh about the tumbleweed. It was such an experience driving cross-country and having to remind myself that it was alright to run them over if I couldn't get out the way. The first time I came across one I thought it was some sort of dog. Well, I'm Australian, I don't think we have an equivalent of tumbleweed there. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

    Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sharla!!
    I adore your quilts!! Congrats on the MBS, I'm looking forward to seeing you there alot more!! X!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  24. GREAT tip, love that you used photos!!! I love you displayed your quilts in your photographs. Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sharla, I really enjoyed reading about your Chainlinks and Farmer's Wife quilts. They are beautiful. I'm on vacation now in California but when I get back, I'm going to try out your tip on matching points at seams.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your monkey quilt is awesome. Thanks for sharing the tip on matching seams. Glad to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your chanlink quilt iss just gorgeous! Love it, love the colors. Great tip about the points. It isn't always easy getting them to match up, but I keep trying! Wonderful getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Sharla. Sorry I took so long to get here. I love your chain link quilt and your photo's of your quilts on farm machinery are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome! Sharla, you have been busy creating and sharing amazing quilts. The chain link pattern is fun! Thanks for the tip on points. So, is it really ok to sew over pins? How does the needle avoid making contact with the pins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dena - I actually sew up to the pin and pull it before right before the needle gets to it, because every once in awhile the needle will hit squarely on the pin and ruin or break the needle. I should have made that more clear in my tip.

      Delete
  30. Hi Sharla! I hope you get some nice weather for harvesting. Good tips, it's always nice to have crisp points. I love the photo of your Farmer's Wife quilt on the combine. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post, Sharla! I love your quilts and your photos look great. I'm a puzzle person too and I can't believe it escaped me that quilting is like putting a puzzle together. Hello! Hope the harvest is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice tip Sharla! And the quilting tip is good, too! (I'm referring to your cute nail polish!) Your grandcholdrens quilts are adorbs, and I really like that triangle one too. See you areound the blog hop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I enjoy having 'festive' nails! I'm replying here because you are a no-reply blogger.

      Delete
  33. Hi, Sharla! I was raised on a farm but born in the nearby city made famous because it holds the record for the most snow angels made simultaneously according to the Guinness Book of World Records. I should know as I was there laying on the ground flapping my arms and legs along with 8,961 other people. Love your quilts for your grandkids. Very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.