Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year Resolution - Busted!

Well, I knew it would happen, it was really a matter of time. But only 3 days?! Yes, on day 3 of my New Year resolution to finish up some of my UFOs in my cubbies before buying any new fabric or projects, I ran across The New Hexagon - Millefiore Quilt Along at Katja's Quilt Shoppe.

I fell in love with this style of quilt after I saw this quilt called the La Passacaglia quilt. This quilt was made by Ashley Spilman. Love the colors!

So of course, I signed up and ordered the book and the English paper piecing supplies. Why? I don't even like to hand sew my binding on my quilts, why would I sign up to do a whole quilt that is hand sewn?! Well, my justification was that I would use one of the fabrics I had purchased for a One Block Wonder quilt that's stuffed in those cubbies for this new project. So technically, I'm still working on my New Year resolution, right?

So after 3 days, I have the center and first round of hexies done on the first rosette. There's a total of 37 hexies, 216 pieces in the first rosette and it measures a whopping 35" across. The finished quilt has 15 rosettes of different sizes, a total of 246 6" hexies, and measures 78" x 78". I'm hoping you all keep me on task so this project doesn't become destined for those cubbies as another UFO! Can I count on you?

I'll keep you updated on my progress here, so come back and visit often!

~Sharla


4 comments:

  1. Very pretty start. Enjoy the process : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharla,
    I'm sorry about that New Year's resolution! ;) But I'm glad you joined in on my quilt-along! Your rosette is looking beautiful. You'll have it done in no time, even though it's all hand sewing. ;) Katja

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like every quilter I know. So mant ideas, so little time!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.