Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along: Sewing Prep

Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along Sewing Prep by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

This week, we will be sewing our blocks. Yay!!! But before we start with actual sewing, I thought I'd share some sewing prep information. To help organize the sewing process, I used a chart to identify the placement of the background, blade & large pinwheel fabrics to insure that:

1. Each group of four blocks had a single block using each of the four background fabrics.

2. Each group of four blades that meet to create a small pinwheel used the same fabrics for the blades.

3. Each group of large pinwheels used the same fabric for the pinwheels.

I labeled the placement of each fabric on the chart as follows:

1. Background: A, B, C, D

2. Blades: B1 - B12

3. Pinwheels: P1 - P12

Here is the link for the guide: Whirl & Twirl Fabric Placement Guide.

Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along Fabric Placement Guide by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com
I lay each group of fabrics out on foam core design boards & then stick a pin through a paper label & fabric to hold it all in place. Of course, for a totally scrappy look, you can just randomly pull fabrics & not worry about following a placement guide.

Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along Fabric Labeling by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along Fabric Labeling by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I sew in groups of four blocks - Block 1 & 2 in the first row & Block 1 & 2 in the second row make a group (the large pinwheel will become the center of the group). Note: I make the blocks in sets of four but do not sew the four blocks together.

There is only one block to make in this quilt. The blocks are rotated to create the design.

I'll share the sewing directions in the next post, so stay tuned!

Happy Quilting!

~Sharla







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.