Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Whirl & Twirl Sew Along: Fabric Selection

Today is the day! We're kicking off the Whirl & Twirl Sew-Along with fabric selection. So hit your stash or hit the store to find your favorite layer cake and coordinating fabrics. Because I live in a rural area and I know how hard it can be to get fabric in a timely matter, I'm allowing everyone a week for this first step.

You will need:

  • 1 layer cake
  • 7/8 yard each of 4 low volume prints for background
  • 1/2 yard medium solid (or reads as a solid) fabric for large pinwheels
  • 1 yard fabric for border
  • 2/3 yard fabric for binding
  • 4 yards fabric for backing
When selecting a layer cake, choose one that has at least 12 dark-valued squares and 12 medium-valued squares. You'll have some leftover squares that can be used in the backing if you like (I love a pieced backing!).

This quilt is a nice throw-size at 62" x 80". Next week I'll share cutting instructions. Can't wait to see what fabric everyone uses!

Happy Quilting!
~Sharla




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.