Sunday, August 11, 2019

MBS At The Seashore Block + Pillow Tutorial

Nautical-Themed Pillow Tutorial by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I was thrilled to be one of the designers for Moda Bake Shop's summer quilt along called "At The Seashore" again this year. And today is my turn on the MBS blog showing you how to make my "Seaside Dreams" block!
Moda Bake Shop At The Seashore QAL Beach Umbrella Block by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

This summer I opted not to make the entire quilt because of some other top secret designing and sewing I've been doing, so I had a random quilt block that I wanted to use in some way. So I decided to make a nautical-themed pillow and today I'm sharing a short tutorial on how I made it. It was so simple that it took me less than two hours to transform my "Seaside Dreams" beach umbrella block into a pillow. 

Cutting Instructions:

18" x 18" square of muslin for foundation
4 - 1" X 12 1/2" rectangles for flange
2 - 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangles for border
2 - 2 1/2" x 16 1/2" rectangles for border
8 - 3" x 6 1/2" rectangles for tabs
2 - 16 1/2" x 21 1/2" rectangles for pillow back
1 - 16" x 16" pillow form
1 - 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" MBS At The Seashore pieced block
4 - 45" lengths of 1/2" cord or rope

Sewing Instructions:

1. Fold the four 1" x 12 1/2" rectangles in half with wrong sides together along the length of the rectangle. Press. 

2. Pin the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" pieced block in the center of the 18" x 18" muslin square. With raw edges aligned, pin one of the folded 1" x 12 1/2" strips on each side of the pieced block. Baste 1/8" around all four sides of the pieced block and through the foundation square. 
Nautical Themed Pillow Tutorial by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

3. Sew a 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" border rectangle on the right and left side of the pieced block. Press strips open. Sew a 2 1/2" x 16 1/2" border rectangle to the top and bottom sides of the pieced block. Press strips open. Trim and square block to 16 1/2" x 16 1/2".
Nautical Themed Pillow Tutorial by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

4. Fold a 3" x 6 1/2" rectangle tab in half right sides together. Sew along the 3" wide ends to create a tube. Turn and press with seam in the center of the tube. Fold tube in half bringing raw edges together and seam on the inside. Repeat for a total of 8 tabs. 
Nautical Themed Pillow Tutorial by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

5. Pin two tabs on each side of the pillow front approximately 2 1/4" from the corners. Baste tabs in place.
Nautical Themed Pillow Tutorial by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

6. Fold the two 16 1/2" x 21 1/2" rectangles in half with wrong sides together along the 16 1/2" width. Press. Layer and pin the two rectangles on top of the pillow front with raw edges together. The rectangle backs will overlap in the middle approximately 5". Sew a generous 1/4" seam through all layers around the perimeter of the pillow. Turn pillow and press. (Whoops! I forgot to take a photo.)

7. Thread a rope piece through two tabs on either side of a corner of the pillow. Repeat for all four corners. Tie rope ends in square knots at the center of each side of the pillow. Trim excess rope ends. Insert pillow form.

I just love how my nautical-themed pillow turned out. It will look great on our land-locked patio where we sit, relax and dream about being at the beach. This is a great way to use the extra blocks you make for the At The Seashore quilt along!

If you make my "Seaside Dreams" block or turn one of your At The Seashore blocks into a pillow, please share on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @thistlethicketstudio.

Hope to see you at the beach soon!

~Sharla


1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.