Monday, January 16, 2017

The Lego Batman Quilt

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Batman! After a year of looking at my stack of Batman fabric, I finally designed, cut, sewed, quilted and bound the quilt in the last 12 days that my grandson requested last February. I can't wait to gift it to that superhero-loving five-year-old (the one that Nana and Papa scoured every sale rack last year after Halloween buying superhero costumes in every shape and form for dress-up costumes for his Christmas present).
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman quilt, super hero quilt, Batman

I'm not really sure why it took me so long to dig into this project because it went together really easy. I drafted my pattern on graph paper, then set about sewing the quilt top together in horizontal sections. I raw edge machine appliqued the Batman logo on the chest block before sewing that section.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero quilt, super heroes

I thought the challenge on this quilt was going to be sewing the curved sections on the bottom of Batman's cape (I used Sew Kind of Wonderful's Quick Curve Ruler - easy peasy), but the real challenge came when trying to decide how to quilt it.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero quilt, super heroes

I fell in love with this "KaPow-Slam-Wham" digital quilting pattern by It's A Quilt Thing but thought it would be too busy to quilt over the top of Batman, so I decided to quilt it as a background fill. I quilted Batman using P2P lines which I thought would not distract the eye.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman Quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero quilt, super heroes

Pow! A pop of orange for the binding really punched up the drama of the quilt.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman Quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero quilt, super heroes

With the left over fabric, I made a matching travel-size pillow case with an inner pillow case in orange.
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman Quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero pillow, super heroes

I ran out this morning after finishing the binding for a quick photo in the snow. I'm hoping to get better photos later. And I can't wait to get a photo of the quilt with my little super hero in his Batman costume!
Thistle Thicket Studio, Lego Batman Quilt, Lego Batman, Batman, super hero quilt, super heroes

I would love to publish a pattern for this quilt and I'm currently researching the licensing issues on the licensed Batman character. Anyone with any knowledge or advice out there?

Quilt Stats:

  • Quilt Pattern: Lego Batman designed by me, aka Thistle Thicket Studio.
  • Fabric: #520211A, Batman: TM/MC & DC Comics, Eugene Textiles found at JoAnns. Kona Cotton solids (sorry I didn't record the exact colors).
  • Finished Size: 60" x 60"
  • Backing: The same Batman fabric listed above.
  • Binding: Kona Cotton in a shade of orange.
  • Batting: Hobbs 80-20.
  • Quilting: Quilted on a Gammill Statler longarm using P2P lines on Batman. KaPow-Slam-Wham digital pattern by It's A Quilt Thing.
  • Thread: Piecing thread was Aurifil 2730 50 wt. and Mettler 50 wt. in black. Quilting thread was Signature Solids in Buttercup, Ivory & Oyster Shell, and Aurifil 2730 50 wt.

This is my first finish of 2017 and for the first quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long. So happy to mark this one of my to-do list!

~Sharla


http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2017/01/the-lego-batman-quilt.html

3 comments:

  1. The quilt is so great, but the quilting really puts it over the top awesome, Sharla! I am sure your grandson is going to adore it. I don't have any great advice on the licensed character front and I hope you find information to help guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandson will love this quilt! I love the background quilting. It immediately made me think of the original Batman tv show. And the orange binding really gives the quilt a nice pop. Congrats on this finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent your articles links to all my contacts and they all love it including me.
    lego tables green

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.