Monday, March 28, 2016

A Finish! 1stQ 2016 Finish-A-Long

It may be the only finish I'll have for the first quarter of the 2016 Finish-A-Long but its a finish nonetheless! I got sidetracked this first quarter with making my grandson's "Robots All In A Row" quilt and co-hosting Moda Bake Shop's "ABC Birthday QAL", so I didn't come close to completing all the projects I listed at the beginning of the quarter (see my 1stQ list here). I'm okay with that and I'm super happy to have this four-patch quilt out of my UFO pile!
Four Patch Squared by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

This quilt started as a four-patch demo a few years ago, using a construction technique I'd seen done by Me and My Sisters. I searched their site and can no longer find the instructions, but I did find a tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co. on their You Tube site. Those four-patches, made from a charm pack of Lynette Anderson's " Quilter's Garden" that I won at a quilt show, laid around for quite awhile before I decided I needed to do something with them. I searched for coordinating fabric and finally found some "Neutral Territory" fabric by Donna Becher for P&B Textiles in two colors that I liked. I just framed the four-patches in the two colorways and then set the blocks in an alternating pattern. Quite simple but kind of blah.
Four-Patch Squared by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

So the quilt top laid around for another year or two until I signed up to do the 2016 Finish-A-Long and the UFO Challenge 2016 in January. I was determined to get at least one thing on my list finished before the first quarter ended so I dug this out last weekend to quilt it.
Four Patch Squared Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I found the perfect quilting pattern called "Modern Gem" by Anita Shackelford. I just love the movement this pattern creates and it was just the pop this quilt top needed to take it from ho-hum to awesome!
Four Patch Squared Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Now if I could just come up with some better backdrops to photograph my quilts. I seem to use this split rail fence a lot. But it does show off the quilting quite well. I'll be linking this up to the 2016 Finish-A-Long for 1stQ finishes later this week.

Well, I'm off to load another quilt on the longarm. Could I possible have two completed projects this quarter?

~Sharla



4 comments:

  1. The quilting really does something special for the quilt; it adds fantastic movement and is well done. Congratulations on the finish and I hope you have fun with whatever you load on your long arm next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really think the bold quilting and the simple patchwork make a perfect combination - definitely not 'blah'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting really makes this quilt stand out! Great solution. I see it on your UFO list post here http://www.thistlethicketstudio.com/2016/01/2016-finish-long-my-1stq-ufo-list.html Just wonder if you could provide a link to this post on each linked post to assist your hosts in tallying up the two! Thanks so much and sorry to ask for more from you but don't want you to miss out on prizes! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.