Friday, October 9, 2015

Farm Girl Vintage, B&C Log Cabin Block Swap & More Fall Decorating

Well, it's finally here. The last two Farm Girl Vintage blocks. It's been a fun ride. Kind of sad to see it end - well, maybe not quite yet. I am going to make two extra blocks (I already made one - the Penny Pig) using Lori Holt's pdf patterns from the Fat Quarter Shop so that I have 48 blocks to complete my quilt.

Here are the last two blocks in the sew along. First up, the Winter Star block:
Winter Star Block from the Farm Girl Vintage Book. Made by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

And lastly, the Woolly Sheep block:
Woolly Sheep Block from the Farm Girl Vintage Book. Block made by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

Lori is promising more Farm Girl Vintage sew along fun. Maybe she'll reveal what she has in mind today on her Bee In My Bonnet blog! I can't wait to find out!

I thought I was done decorating for fall, but I had this issue I needed to tackle. I have already started to accumulate a stack of Christmas presents on the dining room table because this old farm house doesn't have a lot of storage. So I decided to wrap them in brown craft paper and incorporate them into my fall decorating!
Early Christmas present shopping with no place to store them? Incorporate them in your fall decorating! www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I have wrapped gifts in craft paper for years because it's so versatile. You can dress it up or dress it down. The last couple of years I've decorated for Christmas with a red, chartreuse-y green (is that a word?) and brown theme, so I used brown ribbon on the gifts I wrapped so they will transition from my fall décor to Christmas décor. I piled them in an old barnwood wheelbarrow, added a couple of rusty metal pumpkins and some burlap leaves and tucked it all in an odd space in my entry way. Ta-Da! A clean(er) dining room table and another festive fall vignette to greet guests.

Lastly, and maybe the most exciting.....My Bonnie and Camille Log Cabin Block Swap blocks arrived this week! Wow, what a fast turn around time as the deadline to ship was October 1. The hosts for this swap shared some final stats on this block swap - 175 participants, 6300 blocks, 10 countries, 42 US States! What an undertaking for the two hosts!

Now I'm searching for layout ideas. This is a quick shot of my blocks laid out in the 'traditional' log cabin style. Did you participate in this swap? What layout are you using? Anyone that's seen other layout options, please share!

~Sharla

2 comments:

  1. You'd had a good idea there to incorporate your Christmas presents into Thursday Halloween decorations . That's real multi tasking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a soft spot for star blocks and your Winter Star block looks wonderful! It'll be quite a challenge to decide on how to put all those Farm Girl Vintage blocks together - that's after you've figured out the layout for the log cabin blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.