Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fall Pumpkins & Burlap Flowers

Remember that wood I purchased and made a couple of chalkboard pumpkins for my grandsons with the left over wood? Well, I finally finished the project that I originally bought the wood for! More fall pumpkins, but a little more sophisticated than those I made for my grandsons.
Fall Pumpkins & Burlap Flowers by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I saw a photo of similar pumpkins on Instagram made by Nina at Mostly Made In The South - only they were orange - and I just loved them. Nina makes the most awesome painted signs, so stop by her website and check them out! So here is my version of Nina's pumpkins. I painted them an off-white for a more upscale, neutral look.

They were quite easy to make. I used 2x8 pine boards cut at 15", 18" and 21" lengths. I sanded them, then cut a couple of slits down the front to give the feeling of the pumpkin ridges and drilled a hole in the top for the stem. I painted them, sanded them a little for a worn look, then stained them and finished them off with a spray acrylic satin finish. I cut sections of fallen tree limbs and inserted them for the stems. I decorated each of them with burlap and osenberg flowers that I made.
Burlap & Osenberg Flowers by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicktestudio.com

I really like the way the flowers turned out. I searched 'how to make fabric flowers' on Pinterest and found several tutorials. From there I kind of came up with my own designs, combining different techniques I'd seen. I topped some of them off with antique brass buttons.
Burlap & Osenberg Flowers by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I ended up making three sets of three pumpkins - one for me, one for my mom and one for a gift. I can't wait to give them (my mom is coming by later today)!

What crafty fall decorating items have you made?

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. Gosh Sharla , these are impressive . I think i can make things out of wood but in practice I fail miserably

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.