Wednesday, November 12, 2014

QR Code Quilts - Say It Modern

QR code quilts are the epitome of modern. They're graphic, bold, and, well, just cool.

What is a QR code? It's a machine-readable code consisting of an array of black and white squares, typically used for storing URLs or other information for reading by the camera on a smartphone. Creative Grids started putting QR codes on their rulers. When you scan the code with a smartphone that has a QR code reader app, it will take you to a video that demonstrates how to use that particular Creative Grids ruler. Pretty cool.
You can make your own QR codes by using one of the many free QR code generator websites. You can make codes for website addresses, You Tube videos, telephone numbers, etc. You can even enter your own text to say just about anything. How cool would it be to make a QR code quilt for a child that says his or her name, or a QR code label for a quilt that gives all the details about the quilt.
I decided to make a QR code for www.thistlethicketstudio.com with the intention of making my own QR code quilt.
Then I drew the code onto graph paper to create a pattern.

I think I'll make my quilt in jadeite green and blue. I found lots of inspiration on Pinterest. Check out my pins here. I'll post a tutorial after I finish my quilt - stay tuned!

~Sharla

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool idea! You'd have to stand a ways back to actually scan the QR code, though ;).

    Fred | Barcode Wire

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.