Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Scrappy Tumbling Blocks Baby Quilt

Today, I'm sharing another scrappy quilt I made this spring using up some of my juvenile fabrics from the scrap bins. Slowly, my scrap fabric bins are becoming less overflowing! 

Scrappy Tumbling Block Baby Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I've been wanting to use my mom's Accuquilt Go Big cutter and the tumbling block die for a long time. I finally got around to it this spring when I could no longer stuff all of my white background fabrics into the white background scrap bin. So, I started pulling fabrics that coordinated with a bright-colored alphabet print that was in the bin. I decided I had enough coordinating scraps to make a baby-size quilt. I really enjoyed using the Accuquilt cutter and sewing the tumbling blocks was a breeze!

Scrappy Tumbling Block Baby Quilt by Thistle Thicket Studio. www.thistlethicketstudio.com

I decided to buy a backing for the quilt and, to my surprise, found the same alphabet print still available at my local quilt shop. So, guess what, I now have more of that fabric as scraps after trimming my quilt! LOL! Ya just can't win the scrap busting game!

Here's a backing tip: I hate when large prints don't match on the backing of a quilt. Instead of trying to perfectly match the print (or when you don't have enough extra fabric to match the print), sew a stripe of coordinating fabric between the two backing pieces. It adds some interest to the back of the quilt & is a whole lot easier than matching the print!

I've been enjoying making these scrappy baby quilts and I'm hand sewing the binding on the next one right now. Hopefully, I'll remember and share it next week. Until then....

Happy Quilting!

~Sharla





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave some comment love here, and I will share some love back! I make every effort to respond to every comment by email, unless you are a no-reply blogger, then I will leave a comment here.